Navien NPE-240A Recirculation Not Working

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbarron13

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a 2.5 year old Navien NPE-240A with an external recirculation device underneath my master bath sink (furthest fixture from the water heater), which would pretty much instantly provide hot water. I could hear the water recirculating every so often.

About a year ago, the recirculation stopped working so I had the installer come out and he couldn't figure it out so he had the Navien rep come to my house to try to figure it out. It was determined that the unit under my sink was not working properly so they replaced it and all was well.

About 3-4 months ago the same thing happened, so I bought the part online and installed it. Unfortunately it didn't solve the problem. I had a plumber come out who could not diagnose the issue, so I called Navien tech support who told me to check the dip switches, the Int & Ext valve and some of the settings. I did that and all seems ok.

What could be causing my recirculation to not be working properly? I'm stumped. Thanks for any advice.

Do you have a true recirculating system, or are you using the heat sensors under the sinks like are used for a Grunfos Recirculating System?

1677510325650.png

This is the similar sensor that is used in the Grundfos recirc system. I myself just removed the sensor and saw a large amount of sediment which needed to be flushed. Do you have a water filter before your tankless water heater? For $79, it may be worth replacing that recirc sensor. If it works, you know what the problem is. If you find the old one clogged, you could clean it up and install it at another faucet for instant water at a second location.
With my old Navien, I did have to confirm the the dip switches were set properly, but I had a true recirc system installed, so I didn't need the sensors.

This is the similar sensor that is used in the Grundfos recirc system. I myself just removed the sensor and saw a large amount of sediment which needed to be flushed. Do you have a water filter before your tankless water heater? For $79, it may be worth replacing that recirc sensor. If it works, you know what the problem is. If you find the old one clogged, you could clean it up and install it at another faucet for instant water at a second location.
With my old Navien, I did have to confirm the the dip switches were set properly, but I had a true recirc system installed, so I didn't need the sensors.
Hi there - I've replaced the part in the link with 2 replacements to see if that would fix the issue but it doesn't. I don't have a water filter before my tankless. Any other ideas?

Other than checking gas pressures and making sure your dip switches are properly set, I can only recommend checking your incoming water pressure. Those units are very temperamental, and most of the experts on our page have thrown in the towel with Navien, primarily since their customer service has gone downhill. Are you throwing any codes to help with diagnosis? Do you have a sediment dip tube on your gas supply? Have you checked continuity to verify your internal pump is working? I'm just throwing out ideas. Lastly, do a Google search for a Navien certified plumber. They should have the tools necessary to diagnose your issue.

Back