Hot shower valve overtightened

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James Lee

Reaction score
Help what do I do here I accidentally over tightened the knob and I guess something snapped because now it’s just constantly slow drippin and I cannot get it to stop I’ve tried using pliers new knobs and it looks like it’s leaking on the inside it’s running my water bill sky high and wasting propane
IMG_0895.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0894.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 1
Turn off main water. unscrew cartridge, match at a big box store, install new cartridge.

Can remove the stem, get a good set of seat wrenches bring the stem +seat to a plumbing supply house, along with those pictures
Ah, so that's how you can remove this is stick a seat wrench into that small opening in the front? Good to know if I have a similar problem. I guess because all the old homes I've had here seem to always have the Moen posi-temp style cartridge, we just have to remove the locking pin, then they come right out. Not all valves uses a pin you remove then just slide out the catridge? Some of them you have to use a seat wrench and turn the whole think from inside?

Your best bet would to bring the picture to a plumbing supply house that way you will get the proper stem and seat they will also have
Seat wrenches

The stem threads into the valve body and the flat washer sits against the brass or chrome seat, when the washer wears out the stem and seat grind against each other causing the seat to cut,/knicked

Back