Trick to remove globe valve bonnet to replace washer

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bkspero

Reaction score
I have a couple of 30 year old inside shut-off valves to hose bibs and both no longer shut off the flow completely. Photo of one attached.

Neither are leaking externally, but I want to replace the seat washers to see if they'll work again. Problem is that I can't get the bonnet to unscrew. The packing nut is larger than the lands on the bonnet, so I can't use a socket or combination wrench with the packing nut in place. I can get a fair amount of torque on the bonnet with an open end wrench but the bonnet won't budge even to the point where the soft brass starts to round off.

Are there any tricks to break it free? The best option that I can see is to remove the packing nut and handle from the stem and use a deep socket or combination wrench to put more force on the bonnet. But I'm hoping there's an easier way to loosen it so the open end wrench works. I worry that I'll damage the packing nut getting it past the corrosion on the stem.

PXL_20240820_232258644.jpg

Those are installed at the factory with an air impact wrench.

They can be very difficult to remove as you’re finding out.

I’ve had to replace a lot of them as they’d tear up before they would come apart. I’ve used heat, chemicals and every type wrench and socket. Sometimes they just won’t unscrew.

Those are installed at the factory with an air impact wrench.

They can be very difficult to remove as you’re finding out.

I’ve had to replace a lot of them as they’d tear up before they would come apart. I’ve used heat, chemicals and every type wrench and socket. Sometimes they just won’t unscrew.
I haven't tried heat. Will give that a shot tomorrow. Thanks.

Heat will melt your packing and the rubber in the drain cap. So take the drain cap off at least. Don’t let steam get’cha

Will do. I drain the line through it anyway in an effort to reduce the amount of water on the basement floor<G>.

I'm never successful with heat but then again, I don't do this every day. For one, applying heat will probably make that blue handle rapidly rust into dust from the paint being destroyed. Heat seems to cause more problems for me than it solves and like was already mentioned, there may be rubber or silicone o-rings? I didn't think there were any of that in gate valve type things but maybe there is?

It's faster and less can go wrong in my opinion to just cut it out and put in a new one.

I'm never successful with heat but then again, I don't do this every day. For one, applying heat will probably make that blue handle rapidly rust into dust from the paint being destroyed. Heat seems to cause more problems for me than it solves and like was already mentioned, there may be rubber or silicone o-rings? I didn't think there were any of that in gate valve type things but maybe there is?

It's faster and less can go wrong in my opinion to just cut it out and put in a new one.
I plan to remove handle & drain plug. Will replace the washer. Risk is if there's an o-ring on the bonnet. Will start gentle. Try to heat valve body & wet rag cool the bonnet. So far haven't had a large enough block of time where I can shut off water to the house.

I plan to remove handle & drain plug. Will replace the washer. Risk is if there's an o-ring on the bonnet. Will start gentle. Try to heat valve body & wet rag cool the bonnet. So far haven't had a large enough block of time where I can shut off water to the house.
Yeah good point that turning off the water and then making sure water stops dripping can be a pain sometimes so you are correct that would could be a 12 minute job can be a 4 hour job. At least for me because I'm self taught DIY guy. For example, when I first started doing my own plumbing, I was tired from bathroom remodel and could not for the life of me figure out why I had water continuously dripping in a 1/2 copper pipe I needed to solder. I knew to turn water all the way off to house and open up faucets. But what I didn't realize is that I was near a toilet that had water in the tank and was dripping down to where I needed to solder. So my point is that you are correct. What should be easy is sometimes a disaster and huge sucker of time. I finally learned enough tricks and tips from the plumber that works for my uncle that I can fix anything in my house now. Even the service line from the meter to my house.

Back