What did you do today?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Zanne, please don't go up there without a respirator.
Yeah, I'm going to have to see if the local hardware store has one. Walmart and TSC don't have any in stock. Also getting gloves and kneepads.
Currently waiting to find out if the pharmacy is going to fill Mom's bp meds or if I have to call the doctor's office again and remind them to approve the refill.

I’m in a very rural area and have viasat for the last 4 years. This September is the end of my contract, I can’t wait to get rid of Viasat, it is terrible,even on the best days. Starlink is my only option. We have fiber about a mile away, but they won’t run it to me as our power comes from the other direction. No poles between me and the fiber . I’m discouraged to hear that Starlink isn’t the system that I hoped it would be. I’m in an area that the service is spotty to start with so any advice would be appreciated. What package is best etc . I would love to be able to stream but now it’s sounding like it will be a problem. Thanks for any advice.

I’m in a very rural area and have viasat for the last 4 years. This September is the end of my contract, I can’t wait to get rid of Viasat, it is terrible,even on the best days. Starlink is my only option. We have fiber about a mile away, but they won’t run it to me as our power comes from the other direction. No poles between me and the fiber . I’m discouraged to hear that Starlink isn’t the system that I hoped it would be. I’m in an area that the service is spotty to start with so any advice would be appreciated. What package is best etc . I would love to be able to stream but now it’s sounding like it will be a problem. Thanks for any advice.
That's very unfortunate. If you have an unobstructed view of the sky and your dish is aimed properly, I wonder what could be the problem?

Let me clarify, I have Viasat now and want to switch to Starlink , but hearing anything negative about Starlink is discouraging at the least. I didn’t know anything about different tiers , going to have to do more research. I have a few trees which will affect my signal, so I’ll have to cut some , if needed.

The tiers thing may be area specific. I haven't heard anything about that, and I haven't researched it either. We don't have tiers on our set up. It has been pretty reliable, every so often there may be an outage but it's been less and less recently. We often have multiple shows streaming at the same time with multiple households under one roof. It is leaps and bounds better than the dsl we had before.

Yeah, they over-promse and under-deliver. When I first got Starlink it was $99/mo and had very fast speeds. They did not have speed tiers. Now they have added tiers for speed and started throttling the original customers so we get lower speeds. My last speed test was like 110mb down and 50up-- still far better than I ever got on Hughesnet or Viasat though. And that was on a good day. Some days it is so slow I can't even load web pages. And they raised the price to $120/mo and probably plan to raise it even more. For $115/mo the new fiber can do 1000Mb/s. They also have zero customer service.

Meanwhile, Mom hates her insulin pump. She doesn't like how clunky it is and she misses being able to use her dexcom receiver. The pump and the dexcom receiver can't work at the same time. If the dexcom is on, the transmitter/sensor will not send data to the pump. I had to explain this to my mother multiple times and turned her Dexcom receiver off. She then turned it on repeatedly and then whined that the pump wasn't reading her sugar and I had to take the dexcom receiver away from her and hide it. She got me back by hiding the manual for the pump from me so I can't read it. She also tried to change the amount of insulin it gives her on a regular basis-- tried to double it from what the NP programmed it to do, but she said it failed. She's been super cranky. I'm going to have to find an online manual for the Tandem T:Slim X2 and maybe take their online training courses. I want some kind of child lock on that thing to prevent her from editing certain things though. Because we are worried she's going to screw it up and end up dying from insulin overdose. I'm not looking forward to having to change the infusion set and put new insulin in. The NP did it for us at the office but stuff is supposed to be changed on Saturday, if not sooner.

I couldn't sleep last night because I was worried about her tampering with the pump. Then two ceiling tiles dropped in the kitchen-- soaking wet and water dripped from the wooden boards above. So, I went and got the 8' ladder. Had to carry it through a room with a ceiling height slightly less than 8'. That was "fun" trying to navigate around everything. Got it set up in the hallway and climbed up to take a look. It smells musty up there and I want to get a hard hat, gloves, and respirator before going up there. I don't trust touching any of the wiring or the light boxes. Will need to find my headlamp flashlight again. Oh wait, I just found it. LOL. Not sure how I will be able to get around the ductwork. The leaking spot is behind it.
View attachment 45828
The 2nd duct farther away is either over or near the leaking spot. Surprisingly the pull chain light in the attic from the 80s still works.
View attachment 45829
Does not look like enough head room to stand up in here. The disconnected metal duct used to be for a wood burning stove that was removed and subsequently stolen by the deadbeat tenants. There are at least 2 light boxes in that insulation right near the access panel.
I wonder if any of this stuff has asbestos....

Let me clarify, I have Viasat now and want to switch to Starlink , but hearing anything negative about Starlink is discouraging at the least. I didn’t know anything about different tiers , going to have to do more research. I have a few trees which will affect my signal, so I’ll have to cut some , if needed.
My brother lives in a rural little town called Los Cerillos, NM. Starlink is/was his ONLY option. He is exceedingly satisfied and he is IN the computer business. So I think any premonition about problems is unfounded. It is not cheap but with all due respect, YOU chose your remote location so there will be trade offs.

This is just a general statement.

I’ve never seen so many people looking and willing to do things the hard, long and goofy way than on this forum.

“ Hey we have a project……Let’s do it the most F’d up backwards way we can possibly do it……Maybe we could even design and manufacture more fittings to do it the way we want “. 🤣🤣🤣

Y’all have a blessed Sunday ✌️

I’ve never seen so many people looking and willing to do things the hard, long and goofy way than on this forum.

“ Hey we have a project……Let’s do it the most F’d up backwards way we can possibly do it……Maybe we could even design and manufacture more fittings to do it the way we want “. 🤣🤣🤣

I reserve the right to be wrong. First Amendment stuff.

If ya really want to have some fun, go to YouTube, and select “shorts”. While I do not have a YouTube subscription or login, it is sending me a diverse selection of brief video clips that people upload. They range from the sublime to the bizarre, and they do have a lot of construction related videos.

To your point, there are untold numbers of them, usually from foreign countries where people do the strangest things similar to what you mention. All kinds of complicated solutions to simple problems. I am particularly befuddled by ones where they provide so many tricks to save used zip ties. I kind of just use new ones.

Well,jump in and cool off .....
We’ve had 6 people drown in the past week in the Gulf within a few miles of each other.

People come down here and think it’s like swimming in a lake or a pool. They don’t understand there’s a lot going on under the surface. Rip currents and drop offs.

The gulf water temp is in the 80’s so it’s like a saltwater hot tub with sharks. 😬

We’ve had 6 people drown in the past week in the Gulf within a few miles of each other.

People come down here and think it’s like swimming in a lake or a pool. They don’t understand there’s a lot going on under the surface. Rip currents and drop offs.
If God had a heart, he'd make all new humans with built-in water wings and floaties.

God bless you all!

Back