Leaking cast iron repair help.

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Del1650

Reaction score
Hello, my mother house was built in the 1950’s and the plumbing under her shower is leaking and has a hole. I would like to cut out the bad parts and replace with pvc. I’m not sure what I would use to thread into the top threaded part which appears to me to be brass (although I’m not experienced in plumbing). I have read that it’s not good to use a female pvc adapter to thread into metal. I will attach pictures which shows the leak. Any advice would be appreciated, thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_2502.jpeg
    IMG_2502.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2501.jpeg
    IMG_2501.jpeg
    829.7 KB · Views: 0
Good pictures by the way!
You should hire a pro for what needs to be done.
The crappy probably pot metal slip joint nut has cracked.
Removing and replacing the p-trap is a good choice.
The tubular threaded tailpiece may be still good...won't know until removal of the trap and emery cloth cleaning, but frankly, I'd remove the tubular tailpiece (they unscrew) and replace that as well.

The tubular threaded tailpiece may be still good...won't know until removal of the trap and emery cloth cleaning, but frankly, I'd remove the tubular tailpiece (they unscrew) and replace that as well.
Ok thank you. What material would I use to thread into the tailpiece? I’ve read that your not supposed to thread pvc female into the male tailpiece. Is that right or can I use a threaded pvc adapter there and build it out from there ?

to connect to tailpiece, options are:
slip joint trap adapter
or
no hub coupling designed to adapt from 1.5" tubular to 1.5" (or 2") pipe size. Mission T215 is that model for 2"

Ok thats what I will do thank you for your help!

Hello, my mother house was built in the 1950’s and the plumbing under her shower is leaking and has a hole. I would like to cut out the bad parts and replace with pvc. I’m not sure what I would use to thread into the top threaded part which appears to me to be brass (although I’m not experienced in plumbing). I have read that it’s not good to use a female pvc adapter to thread into metal. I will attach pictures which shows the leak. Any advice would be appreciated, thank you.
Yeah good pictures, must be an Iphone 13 or later or a google pixel phone.
I also agree you may want to hire a plumber if you have zero experience. I've made a lot of mistakes trying to fix my own stuff. You never really know what you are getting into and how many tricks you need to know to get yourself out of a jam as you open the can of worms. It's actually harder and takes more experience in my opinion to make threaded connections well-connected and not leak compared to soldering. I'm a DIY'er and do a lot of plumbing between my pool, pond, and indoor plumbing and I will tell you that even with years of experience (DIY wise) my threaded connections will often leak and need to be redone. But you don't want that risk in the walls. I hard-solder all of my in door plubming because of that but even that's a new can of worms (can start a fire).

Latest posts

Back