How to attach a new vanity sink when I can't find studs in the right place?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As they say, one learns by doing. Some things are not as easy as they look. For attaching the countertop to the cabinet you could undo the trap, pull the counter top out a bit, tilt it backwards and apply adhesive caulk or silicone to the cabinet edge, then re-seat the counter top. A trick to consider using is before you apply the adhesive/silicone, run some painters tape around the outside top of the cabinet. After the countertop is re-seated, remove the tape - the tape will catch any adhesive that would squeeze out and run down the sides. Makes cleanup a lot easier.

To finish off the base of the cabinet/cover the shims installed to level it, consider installing moulding around the base. Typical profiles include: ranch base, quarter round, and three-quarter core. You will want to cut them at 45 degree angles where they join at outside corners.

Congrats and good luck!
Thank you three_jeeps! "Moulding," that's the word I needed to know. The closest I came up with is "kick plate," which wasn't getting me there. :)

Installing something like a vanity cabinet so it doesn't rock around, make it level side to side -&- front to back, it's best to use shims.
I like Cedar shims - pieces of wood that taper in thickness, you can slip one, or multiples, under the spot you need to raise it until it's where you want it. Then easily cut off the excess soft wood sticking out with a razor blade, exacto knife, etc. Finally, add molding.

Last edited:
The cabinet screws or lag bolts or whatever you are using to attach the cabinet to the wall are not as important as you are making them. There are a million new fangled anchors that can hold that vanity to the wall and you can even us a bead of silicon caulk behind it or on the top edge of the counter top. The key to a vanity staying in place is more about making sure it is level. People generally push a vanity rather than pull it, that is in your favor. Find some drywall anchors, if you want use four (one in each corner) and install them that way. Toggle bolts work, but the most important thing is, it is not a necessity to find a stud. We usually do find one, but if you can't, I would not sweat that detail at all.

Elevated cabinets on the wall? You want studs. Vanities on the floor? Optional. As others have said, you learn and gain confidence by doing. Now, studs, sheetrock etc are easy. Be careful with electricity and gas. Plumbing mistakes result in leaks and a mess, electricity burns your house down or kills you, gas blows up your house and the neighbors (they will be pissed). Respect your limitations.

That said, sheetrock is sheetrock. You might make a mess, learn new words of cussing, but it's safe. :)

Now, studs, sheetrock etc are easy. Be careful with electricity and gas. Plumbing mistakes result in leaks and a mess, electricity burns your house down or kills you, gas blows up your house and the neighbors (they will be pissed). Respect your limitations.

That said, sheetrock is sheetrock. You might make a mess, learn new words of cussing, but it's safe. :)
Love it!

Back