Repair PEX pipe with a nick near a fitting?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

icewater

Reaction score
nicked pex.png
I was cutting out a section of tile and drywall to install a recessed toilet paper holder and cut into a PEX pipe with a hacksaw blade. Luckily it didn't cut through the wall entirely, so it hasn't leaked.
The cut is next to a T-fitting that sends a PEX pipe downward.
What's the best way to repair this?
This entire wall is tiled, so obviously I want to avoid opening it up.
On the other side of this wall is a closet, so I could cut out a section there if necessary.
I'm not sure how much room is available in the wall to bend the pipe.
Would a reinforcing PEX patch work here (if they exist)?
Thanks for any suggestions!

BTW, I turned off the hot water at the source in the meantime, and open it just long enough to shower, do dishes, etc.

Yeah, you will have to replace that section. When I've nicked thick copper before or found some pitting, I have covered it with layers of epoxy to buy myself time. But with flexible plastic stuff like Pex, I don't think layering it with epoxy will truly keep it form leaking.

PEX is so easy to cut and put new fittings on, you really have no reason not to replace that section. Imagine trying to solder copper pipe in a wall like that! You might have to cut the drywall hole bigger in order to do the job but you would still be replacing with a single piece of drywall so it's not really a lot more work.

You might have to cut the drywall hole bigger
There is tile on the side with the hole but I could access it from the other side (inside a closet).
So I'd cut, say, six inches off the damaged end, then install a new section and join the old with the new using a straight brass PEX coupling?
Does it matter what kind of PEX it is? For size, do I just measure the outside diameter?
Thanks!

I've never worked with pex, other than putting in an air line to my workshop. But my concern was once cut, is there enough room to put in a coupling (will it hit the t coupling connector. That's why the sharkbite suggestion. You need to go with what you feel is most reliable and what your most comfortable installing.

Back