Bypass prv with valve

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NguyenA1

Reaction score
Hi I have a prv that I installed in a very accessible area of the home. I'm wanting to install a bypass for when guests come visit on the weekend so they have strong showers.

I know the standard service bypass is 3 valves with 2 straddling the prv and one on the bypass loop. However, I'm not needing to worry about still being able to have water running while replacing the prv.

Does anyone see anything bad about this set up I've attached where I use 1 valve and would only have it in closed position infrequently when guests stay over the weekend.

In closed position I know the water would choose the least resistive path but there would be water pressure on both sides of the prv, would I get any strange pulsating in the water flow or be bad for the diaphragm in the prv?

Attachments

• 20240908_171634.jpg
    20240908_171634.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
Other than your "electrical" drawing of the piping (LOL), that will work just fine. The only issue would be possible issues with solenoid valves in your refrigerator, washing machine, dishwasher, etc. The higher pressure could cause intermittent water hammer noise when they operate, and theoretically they could leak, but there are tons of houses that do not have PRVs.

You should not have pressure issues if the PRV is working properly. If your incoming pressure is high enough to warrant reduction I would not bypass the PRV, that's asking for problems.

I’d set it at 80 psi and leave it. If still not enough flow then remove the restriction inside the showerhead.

Back