Garbage disposal overheats when using dishwasher

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When you turn on that breaker and plug in a lamp, do both outlets work?

How old is this house? Not only do you have a claim against the builder, but I would say you have a claim against the inspector, because it’s not just “not right”, it’s actively dangerous.
It is a recently built, three story residential building/retirement complex. I rent here after becoming a widow and selling my 122-year-old home. I believe they began leasing the units in late fall of '22. I have been here since May '22.

I just tried both top and bottom with the breaker on. The lamp wouldn't light in either plug. Retested the lamp again, and it works fine in another outlet.

Yeah, open neutral at least, I bet plugging in two identical lamps would show them working, but any imbalance would blow one of them out, and you appear to have other things on at least one of those circuits, so don’t do that.

Seriously, this is actively dangerous, let an expert deal with it.

Yeah, open neutral at least, I bet plugging in two identical lamps would show them working, but any imbalance would blow one of them out, and you appear to have other things on at least one of those circuits, so don’t do that.

Oh yes, would that one would show up! :mad: Was supposed to be here this week, so far nobody! The office has called the vendor AGAIN earlier today, left a message, but no response yet. I have both appliances unplugged, breaker off, and of course, not trying to use either the disposal or the dishwasher that shares the outlet.

Oh yes, would that one would show up! :mad: Was supposed to be here this week, so far nobody! The office has called the vendor AGAIN earlier today, left a message, but no response yet. I have both appliances unplugged, breaker off, and of course, not trying to use either the disposal or the dishwasher that shares the outlet.
Any master electrician can look at this and tell probably instantly what needs to be done based on the symptoms. If you have to wait much longer, I would start thinking about bringing one of your own choosing into it. Then file in small claims for the cost. I know that’s a hassle but you would most likely recoup the money spent.

Any master electrician can look at this and tell probably instantly what needs to be done based on the symptoms. If you have to wait much longer, I would start thinking about bringing one of your own choosing into it. Then file in small claims for the cost. I know that’s a hassle but you would most likely recoup the money spent.
Actually, you don't even have to file a small claims suit to recoup your money. Just send the office a registered letter stating that you've waited long enough and will be bringing in an electrician yourself, and that you will be deducting the cost of that electrician from your rent. The law is on your side in this matter.

Curious question: if the lamp is two pronged but that outlet is three pronged, would I have to have a three pronged lamp to have it light up?

Actually, you don't even have to file a small claims suit to recoup your money. Just send the office a registered letter stating that you've waited long enough and will be bringing in an electrician yourself, and that you will be deducting the cost of that electrician from your rent. The law is on your side in this matter.
You know, I have definitely thought of doing exactly that, since it's STILL not resolved, and maybe then MY apartment would be made safe...but I'm suspecting safety issues building wide! I've started quietly surveying my neighbors to collect a bit of data and asking some specific questions if they mention anything electrical.

No. The small blade is connected to the power line from the breaker. The large blade is the neutral that goes to the neutral buss in the breaker box. If that that side isn't connected to the neutral buss, then the light will not work, even if it is a three-prong plug. The roundish part of a three-prong plug is the ground, which is wired to the ground buss in the breaker box. You need power to the small blade side of the plug, and a good connection to the neutral buss from the large blade side of the plug for any lamp to work.

Going to add a little bit more info today, along with two pictures. This is with a new circuit analyzer. The other one was a bit old, so got a new one with a GFCI tester function on it. Thought that might be helpful to have, though this particular outlet I'm worried about is not GFCI. I used the analyzer in a couple outlets that I'd already tested, and which tested correctly, before using it in the suspect outlet. With the disposal breaker on, the disposal plugged into the top of the outlet and the analyzer plugged into the bottom, indicator reads hot/neutral reverse. Then, switched on the disposal, analyzer lights went off, indicating open/hot. When the DW is plugged into the bottom, the disposal into the top, and you flip the disposal switch on, the DW lights go off. Yikes, not sure why these pics came in so large! Disposal off lights on.jpgDisposal switched on, lights out.jpg

Last edited:
What MicEd69 said. Well that analyzer can detect certain common wiring problems, this is not a common wiring problem, and you need to stop diagnosing it yourself.

What MicEd69 said. Well that analyzer can detect certain common wiring problems, this is not a common wiring problem, and you need to stop diagnosing it yourself.
Totally agree with both of you! I am ONLY relaying the pictures taken from the suspect outlet, not doing any diagnostics down there myself! Gathering all the information I can, so when the electrician shows up, I'll have some documentation to share. My diagnostic skills are NOT electrical, but medical in nature. In the meantime, everything remains unplugged, and the breaker off. I did, however, by myself, test my new circuit analyzer in the already tested correct outlets, ahead of the "diagnostician" who came with more equipment, voltage meter, etc. With the disposal breaker on, and both appliances unplugged, the bottom outlet indicated zero voltage. Don't have a picture of that.

Totally agree with both of you! I am ONLY relaying the pictures taken from the suspect outlet, not doing any diagnostics down there myself! Gathering all the information I can, so when the electrician shows up, I'll have some documentation to share. My diagnostic skills are NOT electrical, but medical in nature. In the meantime, everything remains unplugged, and the breaker off. I did, however, by myself, test my new circuit analyzer in the already tested correct outlets, ahead of the "diagnostician" who came with more equipment, voltage meter, etc. With the disposal breaker on, and both appliances unplugged, the bottom outlet indicated zero voltage. Don't have a picture of that.
I would say nothing to the electrician. In my experience, a master electrician will take five minutes to figure it out. He or she won't need you to say a word. It won't end up being rocket science.

With the disposal breaker on, and both appliances unplugged, the bottom outlet indicated zero voltage.
Yes, open neutral will do that. But the 'analyzer' is just three neon bulbs, so it indicates 'more than 90 volts' with a very high impedance, and appliances (when on) are a very low impedance, so they don't really tell you much more than some subset of pass/fail for common wiring problems. If you built one with three 100W incandescent bulbs, you'd get a very different 'reading', and it still wouldn't tell you much more than "Something is seriously wrong, get a professional to straighten it out."

I would say nothing to the electrician. In my experience, a master electrician will take five minutes to figure it out. He or she won't need you to say a word. It won't end up being rocket science.
I would probably agree with your advice, but every person that's come SO far has asked me, "tell me exactly what's happening." Maybe the electrician won't ask, but I have been blown off enough times thus far, that I'm damn gun-shy of trusting anybody. I am a Pitt Bull for the truth, when I need to know, and in particular, when and if it involves my safety and/or the safety of others within my circle of concern. Also, can you define master electrician? is that a journeyman, a licensed electrician, or what? Thanks!

I would probably agree with your advice, but every person that's come SO far has asked me, "tell me exactly what's happening." Maybe the electrician won't ask, but I have been blown off enough times thus far, that I'm damn gun-shy of trusting anybody. I am a Pitt Bull for the truth, when I need to know, and in particular, when and if it involves my safety and/or the safety of others within my circle of concern. Also, can you define master electrician? is that a journeyman, a licensed electrician, or what? Thanks!
It depends on your jurisdiction, a master electrician usually worked as a journeyman for X amount of years before moving on to apply and test for license as a master. There are a lot of guys doing electrical work and claiming to be electricians, I will only work with licensed master electricians, that way I know they have the experience and diagnostic capabilities.

Last edited:
You can tell them what is happening, but a well qualified person won't need to know about a bunch of tester lights etc. In my opinion, it muddies the water and for an experienced electrician, they won't need to know about all the lights and what you have done thusfar. It's like hiring an experienced plumber and then sharing your interpretation of plumbing codes.

Latest posts

Back