DELTA cartridge installation problem

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcf57

Reaction score
I had a slight leak in a bathtub. I called delta and they sent me new o-rings parts to replace. I got the cartridge out, replace the o-rings, but can't get cartridge fully back in. It won't push all the way back in so the triangles insert into the correct positions (pic). tried silicon grease and vasoline. No luck. Any suggestions.

attachment(11).jpg

I can't tell if it's lens distortion, but it looks like it may not be lined up exactly. You may have to slather some silicone on the entire insertable cartridge body and o-ring as well. Check also to see that nothing is preventing the valve from seating by taking it out again and shining a flashlight. While you are doing that, check for corrosion and/ or pitting where it forms the seal on the brass housing.

Duh, you didn't observe what you removed. the triangular gap needs to have the matching plastic body line up.

Duh, you didn't observe what you removed. the triangular gap needs to have the matching plastic body line up.
I had the triangular gaps lined up (with hot on the left). The problem is it wouldn't easily push in any further. However, I wound up using the bonnet nut to help get it fully in. screwed it on and it pushed the cartridge back into place.

The only problem is it still leaks. I cleaned the inside, but contacted Delta & they say I need to "flush" it out. basically with the cartridge out, turn the house water back on and let it run through this tub outlet for about 60-90 secs. Does this really help? I tried to tell them the cartridge is 25yrs old and installed when the house was built in 1999. Seems like 25yrs would wear it out, but they wanted me to "flush" it first. Will try soon here.

Whenever you shut off your water, little particles will flow downstream and can potentially because small leaks. I like the idea of flushing, but flushing before the cartridge is inserted. This takes timing and communication, using two people. One at the outside shut off valve, and one inside to collect the water before it gets behind your wall. I'd recommend you shut down the water, remove the cartridge, inspect for any tears, flush for 10-15 seconds, lube up with O ring grease and reinsert the cartridge. Don't forget to inspect the springs and seats for wear (if applicable) while the cartridge is out. Lastly, using some O ring grease on the threads of the bonnet nut allows for a tighter cartridge, which in itself may stop these small drips.

Reactions: Aug
Did you get the little nub on the cartridge lined up withj the V on the body. If so then maybe they sent you the
wrong o-ring. Do like TWH said and get a genuine delta cartridge and that will solve your problem

Well, I decided to just call delta and insist on a whole new cartridge. They sent it to me at no cost. Got it and just finished installing it. Works perfectly.

Removed old one again. Then I turned water back on from the street and first flushed the line for about 90 seconds (as previously recommended). Turned water off. The new cartridge installed & went in fairly easy (aligned the Vs). Turned the water back on and VOILA!!! No leaking and problem solved.

Since the old one wad about 25yrs old, I figured a new cartridge was probably needed. This time around, I got a Delta rep who was pretty good and had no problem sending me a replacement at no cost.

It’s nice to see good customer service these days….even if it does take the a 2nd call. 😜

Back