Solder vs Propress

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wayward

Reaction score
I'm a homeowner that has taken care of most of my own home repairs. When fixing copper piping I have used soldering and this has worked out for me. What do people here think about Propress fittings. Is this the way of the future or is soldering fittings/pipe still in vogue?

When you purchase the equipment and pro press pipe and pass the costs onto the consumer. You know, get in, fix problem, get out, and onto next job.

AKA "The Plumber!"

Is there a situation when you would use propress instead of soldering?
Yes but that gives me room be define anything as “ a situation “.

Does propress work ? Yes
Do I use propress? No
Why ? Because it’s expensive and inferior to soldering
Would you ever use propress ? Sure

Do we use ProPress: YES
Do we mess with solder at all any more?: Rare to none. Sure, carry the ability to use, but that equipment is gathering dust.
We have the ProPress close-quarter any-angle kit and many Propress tools.
Hard to justify for a homeowner. Not hard to justify for contractors.
And, lack of flux residue is a huge bonus. No homeowner complaints, we use it on schools and restaurants and never have to flush or worry about a thing.

Everything with copper is expensive! The tools, the tubing, and the fittings. Whereas the ProPress tools would be too costly for a homeowner to have around for occasional use, if you are doing your plumbing with PEX, a crimp tool, the fittings and rings for that are all very reasonable in price.

I like soldered joints. But I'm just a DIY'er homeowner. I had assumed that the plumbers pay for the expensive pro-press tools and parts so that they don't have to burn some of the walls and fixtures and risk starting a fire inside a wall. Soldered joints are just so much easier to "trust" since the way it works is the heat sucks the solder well into all of the joint. But........ when you are soldering very close to walls, you can burn stuff or even start a fire inside the wall so what I do is spend lots of time prepping, even spraying down any insulation in the wall to get it wet. Then, I double check for fires over the next 25 minutes. The annoying thing about soldering copper pipe yourself now is that I never see the "fire blankets" stocked at Home Depot or Lowes. And you really need to find those fire blankets to tape up over wall or fixture to keep the damage down from the torch. However, most people have 2 day shipping with Prime now so I guess you can just order it.

Something that is interesting though is that the Pro Press tools are huge and can't fit in tight spaces. So it's kind of stupid to me that most plumbing companies switched to them. A highly skilled plumber can solder a 1/2 copper pipe in extremely tight spaces, even inside of walls or underneath bathtubs through a wall. You can't fit the big expensive Pro Press tools into tight spaces so it's kind of funny they are switching to it. I bet they get cheaper insurance if they don't use torches?

I love soldering my own repairs because the previous soldered pipe had last for 60 years and this is by the ocean in high humidity. And that's with mostly soft solder you use above ground. I bet if you hard soldered thick copper pipe it could last 80 to 100 years. (hard solder has a little bit of silver in it so it's expensive but that solder is not soft and won't get pin holes like the soft solder does). My 1957 Florida house near the ocean has now had at least 2 places where the old soft solder got pinholes. But that's a good run! For inside the dirt and concrete, I think they were supposed to braze or hard solder the copper pipe? So for so good.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back