Tool to open clean out

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Serge9898

Reaction score
I have an old rusted clean out outside that I want to open. But it has not been opened for 15 years and the thread is rusted.
I tried to put some WD40 (Degrip oil) regularly in the thread and unscrew the cap with a plumber wrench (Pics 1) with no success.
(The clean out cap is slightly inside the wall and do not give me a good grab with the plumber wrench that rips, and damages the corner of the square grab..)

The cap has a square male grab: the sides are ~33mm (2 1/3 in). But I cannot find the tool anywhere.
I believe the old cast pipe is 2 in.
Can you tell me where to find the tool to open this clean out with enough torque? (No plastic, needs leverage)

There is no emergency. I just want to open this clean out for the next plumbing emergency.
My next move will be to cut the old 2" cast pipe in the scroll place. I already got the ABS replacement pipes and clean out (Pics). But I am not there yet. For now my question is where can I find this old wrench? (And save the painful cast cutting in a 2 ft high space!)

Thank you all for your help!

Attachments

• Plumber wrench.jpg
    Plumber wrench.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Clean out5.jpeg
    Clean out5.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 1
  • Clean OutD.jpg
    Clean OutD.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1
  • ABS clean.jpg
    ABS clean.jpg
    849.7 KB · Views: 0
But 33mm is ~1.3" of about 1 5/16". There is a wrench that you can get, but they are pretty expensive. If you have a steel supplier around, verify the dimension and you should be able to get a piece of square tubing that will fit over the square lug so you can get a better purchase on it with the pipe wrench. The steel supply near me has drop-offs, pieces that they have cut for others, that are cheap.

Maybe your local big box store has a tool rental counter too. What's that saying, "Give me a lever long enough and I can move the world"? A longer pipe wrench would probably work as well.

Last edited:
I've used a sawzall many times that nut maybe hollow so you can cut right thru it then make a bunch of pie shaped cuts just deep enough so you don't hit the threads
You can start the cut by using a drill bit to get the sawzall blade in to start, you could also try a sharp chisel and hammer hitting the threads on a counter clockwise direction

I’d try a long cold chisel at the end of the threads on the plug, angled and hit with a hammer.

If that failed I’d cut it out with a sawzall as has been suggested.

But 33mm is ~1.3" of about 1 5/16". There is a wrench that you can get, but they are pretty expensive. If you have a steel supplier around, verify the dimension and you should be able to get a piece of square tubing that will fit over the square lug so you can get a better purchase on it with the pipe wrench. The steel supply near me has drop-offs, pieces that they have cut for others, that are cheap.
Thanks you!
Would you have a link to the wrench? I cannot find any!. That's my issue. Even expensive that may worth saving the 1/2 day of work in the 2' crawl space!

The metal tubing scrap is a good idea/ I'll have a look at the metal vendors around.
1 5/16" gosh! I grew up in metric country, how can you figure that! I just drop my socket wrench on the ground: it took me 30 min to put them back in order 7/16 vs 5/12!!🤪

Maybe your local big box store has a tool rental counter too. What's that saying, "Give me a lever long enough and I can move the world"? A longer pipe wrench would probably work as well.
Archimedes...
Yes may be they have it but what tool? Can you be more specific? Would you have a link to the tool you have in mind? I cannot find any!. That's my issue.
(The longer pipe wrench doesn't work as you read in my post...🙁

I've used a sawzall many times that nut maybe hollow so you can cut right thru it then make a bunch of pie shaped cuts just deep enough so you don't hit the threads
You can start the cut by using a drill bit to get the sawzall blade in to start, you could also try a sharp chisel and hammer hitting the threads on a counter clockwise direction
This is a great idea. Thank you! But I need to be sure to find a replacement cap/nut with the same thread, before I start the job!...
Also, as I mention the top surface of the nut/cap is about 1/4 inch inside the wall surface. So not very accessible with the sawzall (reciprocate saw).
What tool do you use then to grab the pie shaped cut out?

Thanks you!
Would you have a link to the wrench? I cannot find any!. That's my issue. Even expensive that may worth saving the 1/2 day of work in the 2' crawl space!

The metal tubing scrap is a good idea/ I'll have a look at the metal vendors around.
1 5/16" gosh! I grew up in metric country, how can you figure that! I just drop my socket wrench on the ground: it took me 30 min to put them back in order 7/16 vs 5/12!!🤪
This is on Ebay.
1725755453052.png

As I said, this is pretty expensive. I'm not sure many plumbers even have these.

I hate it when that happens! I've never heard of a 5/12s anything. Now I need to find one to complete my socket set! Good luck in your quest!

This is a great idea. Thank you! But I need to be sure to find a replacement cap/nut with the same thread, before I start the job!...
Also, as I mention the top surface of the nut/cap is about 1/4 inch inside the wall surface. So not very accessible with the sawzall (reciprocate saw).
Pliers, if you measure the cover before you remove it find a replacement, there are also
(Spin tights) They are round plugs with expandable rubber gasket with a wing nut you tighten to make a good seal check home depot/ Lowe's or a plumbing supply house

Drill a hole large enough to fit a sawzall blade in, also try a basin wrench with an adjustable wrench on it for leverage

Maybe you could get a large pair of vicegrips on it, then turn the vice grips with another wrench. You could angle the vice grips in as much as you could first then try to break it loose. I'd think cutting it would be last resort for me.. I just know I'd cut into the threads.

Archimedes...
Yes may be they have it but what tool? Can you be more specific? Would you have a link to the tool you have in mind? I cannot find any!. That's my issue.
(The longer pipe wrench doesn't work as you read in my post...🙁
Point taken. You may have the best luck at finding something, like one of the sockets in that expensive mentioned above, at a tool rental place.

I have an old rusted clean out outside that I want to open. But it has not been opened for 15 years and the thread is rusted.
I tried to put some WD40 (Degrip oil) regularly in the thread and unscrew the cap with a plumber wrench (Pics 1) with no success.
(The clean out cap is slightly inside the wall and do not give me a good grab with the plumber wrench that rips, and damages the corner of the square grab..)

The cap has a square male grab: the sides are ~33mm (2 1/3 in). But I cannot find the tool anywhere.
I believe the old cast pipe is 2 in.
Can you tell me where to find the tool to open this clean out with enough torque? (No plastic, needs leverage)
For
There is no emergency. I just want to open this clean out for the next plumbing emergency.
My next move will be to cut the old 2" cast pipe in the scroll place. I already got the ABS replacement pipes and clean out (Pics). But I am not there yet. For now my question is where can I find this old wrench? (And save the painful cast cutting in a 2 ft high space!)

Thank you all for your help!
For one thing, throw WD 40 away and use a real penetrating oil - Kroil, PB_Blaster, etc. Hit the sides of the pipe and cap with a hammer after applying so that the vibration aids the penetrating oil to permeate the rust/corrosion. Repeat every 6-10 hrs. After a few days, try a pipe wrench and if necessary, add a 3-4 foot pipe extension as a mechanical advantage. Don't over do it to the point of damaging the threads if you want to preserve them. You probably could drill a hole in the cap and remove it piecemeal by chipping it away from the sides of the pipe. Good luck

Last edited:
based upon the pics of the cleanout, have you considered using heat (soldering torch) to help break the rust on the plug threads..?? use a NON-FLAMMABLE penetrating oil along with the heat. the heat will help draw some of the fluid into the threads.......NON-FLAMMABLE..

Latest posts

Back