Tool to open clean out

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Serge,
Back in the 70's I did a plumbing apprenticeship & got licensed as a requirement to continue my job in steam and hydronics. Most I've forgotten, but here are some ideas I learned and used often:

Before you start working hard on it, how difficult will the repair be if the female adapter or bell is damaged? This will give you an idea of how crazy you can go on it.

I can't see the back of the fitting, but can you have access to peel out the lead and oakum to replace the fitting and plug?

Three Jeeps wisely mentioned not using WD-40. It's a very good cleaner, but poor lube. If the odor of Kroil or PB is objectionable, transmission fluid works every well. It cuts old pipe joint compound as well as rust. Vinegar works sometimes, too.

Drill a small test hole straight into in the square boss. It is either hollow (most likely) or solid.

Geofd mentioned cutting pie shaped slots after cutting the head off (if it's hollow). If you goof and damage the threads, a Lead Plug will save the day.

Alternatively, we sometimes would fill the female threads with pipe dope and use a test plug. I'm pretty sure this isn't to code, but it's an idea if the threads are damaged.

If the square boss is solid, the master to whom I apprenticed would drill a hole all the way through the flats, insert a 1/2" diameter steel rod and use that as a no-slip wrench.

I hope you can get the plug out peacefully!
Paul

Attachments

• Lead Plug.png
    Lead Plug.png
    156.2 KB
Back