What did you do today?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It has been unbearably hot the the last few days and that has put me into summer hibernation where I'm not getting much done. Today was a bit more productive. I cleaned the cat waterer and changed the filter. Took out the trash. Did curbside pickup at Walmart- but they forgot to give me $40 worth of my order (I think they gave it to the wrong person by mistake or forgot to pull it). I doublechecked the truck, path too the truck, front room, living room, kitchen etc to see if the stuff got dropped somewhere but realized that they just didn't give it to us. I cooked for Mom and changed her insulin cartridge.

Been having to fight Rupert all day with him trying to sit on my head, climb under my covers, climb on my keyboard, jump on me, and repeatedly grabbing me with his claws. He's clawed up my arms and is not taking the hint when I push him off of stuff. He just doubles down. He just ran over and tried to jump on me again. The orange brain cell is not visiting him today. I'd hold him if I didn't need to get up to go to the bathroom in a few moments.

Edit: He rammed me in the leg and tripped me on the way to the bathroom. ARG. LOL.

Last edited:
Yesterday I took Fippy to the vet, stopped at the post office for mail, grabbed McDonalds (I promised Fippy a "burger sandwich" because he got shots). He snapped at me when I tried to put his harness on, which he usually doesn't do. He used to climb into the harness willingly but he's been crabby. It kept slipping off of him so I need to figure out how to tighten it as he's lost weight. Down to 13lbs. Once I had the harness and leash on though, he cooperated well and trotted out to the truck. I had to pick him up to get him in as he can no longer jump up as easily as he used to. Vet said his records show he's 14 (although I could have sworn he's 15) now. He got to pee all over bushes. When we got home he wanted to wander around the yard a bit until I said "burger sandwich" and he came trotting over to me and into the house.

I got coffee and a fillet of fish for Mom. Then I took a nap for a bit. Then I had to cook for her again. Cooked a few more times for her and had to put a new canula on since she accidentally pulled the canula loose.

Boo stomped all over my head this morning and woke me up and Rupert is now curled up on my lap sleeping.

Fippy in the truck after the vet visit.
1721476715083.png

Yesterday I took Fippy to the vet, stopped at the post office for mail, grabbed McDonalds (I promised Fippy a "burger sandwich" because he got shots). He snapped at me when I tried to put his harness on, which he usually doesn't do. He used to climb into the harness willingly but he's been crabby. It kept slipping off of him so I need to figure out how to tighten it as he's lost weight. Down to 13lbs. Once I had the harness and leash on though, he cooperated well and trotted out to the truck. I had to pick him up to get him in as he can no longer jump up as easily as he used to. Vet said his records show he's 14 (although I could have sworn he's 15) now. He got to pee all over bushes. When we got home he wanted to wander around the yard a bit until I said "burger sandwich" and he came trotting over to me and into the house.

I got coffee and a fillet of fish for Mom. Then I took a nap for a bit. Then I had to cook for her again. Cooked a few more times for her and had to put a new canula on since she accidentally pulled the canula loose.

Boo stomped all over my head this morning and woke me up and Rupert is now curled up on my lap sleeping.

Fippy in the truck after the vet visit.
View attachment 45961
It does look like flippy is getting older. My son had a pit mix and he had that same grey hair look, that slowly covered him. But he lost the use of his back legs, couldn't stand or walk, just to painful. He had to finally take him for his last visit to the vet. I get misty thinking about it, and he wasn't even mine. I can't imagine having to actually do that.dogs can be so loving, it's such a shame we only have such a short time with them. Don't know why God made them that way. Seems like the bigger they are, the shorter the lifespan.

At 81 & a 1/2, I be much like Flippy:. I get cranky when someone attempts to put a leash on me; I don't like shots and sometimes snap at the shot-giver (but git 'em anyway); I'm down to 165 lbs. (but that's maybe because I still mountain bike and ride my motorcycle); very occasionally I'll beg for a hamburger (just not a Mac's); and I STILL pee all over the yard with my goats (when my trophy-wife ain't lookin'!) // Been a plumber all my life, and that trade has provided one of the best independent existences any man could ask for ... but lately, like Flippy, I kinda like it when someone offers to lift me up into my 4 wheeler. 🥳

Very cool pic & brung back fond memories. I worked my way thru chollege as a plumber for Ongaro Plumbing in San Anselmo, CA starting in 1962. The union helped by giving me credit so I only had to attend union school one evening a week instead of two. Took 6 years but I did graduate, did become a journeyman, and didn't have any debt. No way kids today can't do that anymore ... and I never once got a trophy :mad:.

Very cool pic & brung back fond memories. I worked my way thru chollege as a plumber for Ongaro Plumbing in San Anselmo, CA starting in 1962. The union helped by giving me credit so I only had to attend union school one evening a week instead of two. Took 6 years but I did graduate, did become a journeyman, and didn't have any debt. No way kids today can't do that anymore ... and I never once got a trophy :mad:.
Trades have been discouraged. And, many high schools removed vocational and technical programs. Kind of sad because the needs have not gone away, and not every high school kid is college material. Thus school systems are failing this subset of our society. We still need plumbers, electricians, and other trades. It’s just harder for kids to get into that because the guidance that used to be there for them in high school is not there for them today. So they have to have good parents or good mentors or both to point them in the right direction for a future career that matches their skills and abilities.

Trades have been discouraged. And, many high schools removed vocational and technical programs. Kind of sad because the needs have not gone away, and not every high school kid is college material. Thus school systems are failing this subset of our society. We still need plumbers, electricians, and other trades. It’s just harder for kids to get into that because the guidance that used to be there for them in high school is not there for them today. So they have to have good parents or good mentors or both to point them in the right direction for a future career that matches their skills and abilities.
Even if they were still in schools, to get into any trade, you pretty much have to have a mentorship for a couple years.
Back in 83-84 I was ready to go into home ownership, but everything realtors showed me made me just roll my eyes. My dad built a couple houses, I didn't really want to do that, but to get a reasonable house, that's what I needed to do. Went to the bank to see what was needed... a contractor and blueprints to start. I went to the local collage for a general contractors 12 week course (I think it was 12) , took a test, got my license.
Bought a drafting table and drew my prints, got my loan, then it was a journey from there, but I built my house, plumbing, electrical, drywall, finishing, bult my own cabinetry , and most if our furniture. A long road...
Al, that to say, I think that would be impossible now days.

I've got a first world problem, nearly plumbing related, but thought it was worthy of bringing to everyone's attention.

I've recently noticed that COSTCO-branded Kirkland toilet paper may be of a lesser quality than even I was previously used to. It may be a quality control or an actual raw material quality issue. The problem is that the toilet paper in question no longer tears evenly at the perforations but, rather, tears raggedly anywhere it feels like tearing. The causes me to have to carefully removed the damage sheet to restore a normal look to the roll ready for its next use. And don't get me started on making sure the end of the roll is folded to a crisp, neat point like they do in some of the high-end hotels and motels.

Your thoughts on the matter?

I've got a first world problem, nearly plumbing related, but thought it was worthy of bringing to everyone's attention.

I've recently noticed that COSTCO-branded Kirkland toilet paper may be of a lesser quality than even I was previously used to. It may be a quality control or an actual raw material quality issue. The problem is that the toilet paper in question no longer tears evenly at the perforations but, rather, tears raggedly anywhere it feels like tearing. The causes me to have to carefully removed the damage sheet to restore a normal look to the roll ready for its next use. And don't get me started on making sure the end of the roll is folded to a crisp, neat point like they do in some of the high-end hotels and motels.

Same problem with sams brand. But I refuse to pay for the name brand fluffy stuff.
I personally don't care if it's got a ragged look after I'm done.
But, that's just me.

I am quite sure Kirkland’s tissue mfr is same as Charmins. Incidentally, Charmin recently came out with a scalloped cut between tissues, which has virtually eliminated the dreaded ragged edges!
I suggest you submit a suggestion card (near Costco exits) requesting them to emulate this feature in their Kirkland tissue. Chances are this will not secure this feature, as Charmin will want to retain their uniqeness in the market, but you gave it a shot!

Latest posts

Back