Washing machine setup

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

williamIT

Reaction score
Just moved into a new apartment, I have this in my utility room and want to install a washing machine.
The sink is mounted on metal bars protruding from wall, so changing the sink for a laundry sink for drainage is difficult In the photo you can see the grey drain bung in the floor. I was thinking to create a system according to this photo I found online, with an AAV up from the waste drain on the floor, going as high as possible (where VTR is in the diagram), P trap coming off to the side and then standpipe for washing machine.
I am a complete layperson when it comes to plumbing..
Questions:
1) Would this general setup be ok ?
2) if so, what diameter pipes should I use ? Bit confused how I would connect for example a 2inch pipe into a floor drain (perhaps there is a flange for this ?)
Thanks in advance.
Will

Attachments

• Utility Washing Machine Code.jpg
    Utility Washing Machine Code.jpg
    14.1 KB
  • Utility Washing Machine 1.jpg
    Utility Washing Machine 1.jpg
    2.4 MB
  • Utility Washing Machine 2.jpg
    Utility Washing Machine 2.jpg
    2.2 MB
You’ll need to determine if that’s a floor drain or possibly where a toilet use to be installed.

A floor drain would already have a p/trap. An old toilet pipe wouldn’t.

To check, remove the cap and listen while someone else flushes a toilet in your apartment. If you can directly hear water flowing sound through the proposed drain, that means it’s not a floor drain or it’s a floor drain with a dry trap/compromised trap.

So check it out and report back.

You could also get about 3-4 5 gallon buckets of water and dump down the pipe as quickly as possible. Or drag the washing machine in the room and make a temporary stand pipe 42” above the floor and stick it into the drain and run the washer to the drain cycle on high level fast spin. Do that 4-5 times straight.

Last edited by a moderator:
You’ll need to determine if that’s a floor drain or possibly where a toilet use to be installed.

A floor drain would already have a p/trap. An old toilet pipe wouldn’t.

To check, remove the cap and listen while someone else flushes a toilet in your apartment. If you can directly hear water flowing sound through the proposed drain, that means it’s not a floor drain or it’s a floor drain with a dry trap/compromised trap.

So check it out and report back.

You could also get about 3-4 5 gallon buckets of water and dump down the pipe as quickly as possible. Or drag the washing machine in the room and make a temporary stand pipe 42” above the floor and stick it into the drain and run the washer to the drain cycle on high level fast spin. Do that 4-5 times straight.
Thanks for your message. Ran the shower in the adjacent shower room and can hear the water running through.

Thanks for your message. Ran the shower in the adjacent shower room and can hear the water running through.
Pour a couple gallons of water down the proposed pipe and then do your shower test again. To Make sure the proposed pipe doesn’t have a p-trap.

Did that and still hear the shower water running through the pipe. Not sure if it's relevant because I am sure all pipes have a smell .. but can also smell sewer gas coming up from that pipe

Did that and still hear the shower water running through the pipe. Not sure if it's relevant because I am sure all pipes have a smell .. but can also smell sewer gas coming up from that pipe

It’s probably an old toilet pipe. That’s good.

Glad to hear that, is there any flange that I could use to connect the piping into the old toilet pipe ?

Glad to hear that, is there any flange that I could use to connect the piping into the old toilet pipe ?

Measure your pipe innthe floor and give me the inside diameter. Maybe post a really good pic looking into the pipe with some light on it.

let me know if this is good enough

Attachments

• Utility Washing Machine 3.jpeg
    Utility Washing Machine 3.jpeg
    1.7 MB
I can’t really tell what you have there. The pipe doesn’t come through the concrete ?

Maybe too close of a pic 🤔

If you can measure the inside diameter, that would be helpful.

I’ve found 2” Pvc slipped inside 4” cast iron about 8” then packed with about 4” of oakum then poured with hydraulic anchoring cement. It doesn’t meet code but it works and it’s cheap.

I can’t really tell what you have there. The pipe doesn’t come through the concrete ?

Maybe too close of a pic 🤔

If you can measure the inside diameter, that would be helpful.

I’ve found 2” Pvc slipped inside 4” cast iron about 8” then packed with about 4” of oakum then poured with hydraulic anchoring cement. It doesn’t meet code but it works and it’s cheap.
sounds like a great solution. Never used it before, do you just tie it round the pipe with a knot?? is it possible some day that the pipe can be removed without all the oakum all falling into the drain ? (excuse my ignorance). Perhaps there is an alternative I could use for the filling, like a foam ? So this pipe can be removed more easily in the future. Once I've heard you're reply I will give it all a go and post a photo here.

Back