How did I go wrong posting a thread? Please advise!

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

install4you

Reaction score
I posted a thread about 40 minutes ago. "Urgent request....." 1 view, 0 replies.
Rodhotter posted a thread about 20 minutes ago. "Ok to use never-seize..." 94 views, 3 replies.

What did I do wrong? Did I post wrong.? Is the title offensive?

I'm not mad or anything, just concerned.

Please advise. I need the help, but I also don't want to offend anyone.

Eddie

And the best pizza (IMO and on the West Coast) was "Shakeys" with "MoJo" potatoes, a pitcher of beer, two glasses, and my wife!:beeroclock:

(Unfortunately, Shakeys went out of business around 1993 or so.)

OK havasu. Telling me there's a Shakeys 2 blocks from your house...well that's almost mean.
That's my all-time favorite pizza. We had one in Pensacola, FL when I was in highschool. Haven't seen one in 50+ years. I now live in Alabama & I know I can't afford the delivery fee.
Took the fam on vacation last year to Utah. Maybe we can include Shakeys, oops, California soon.

Oh, thanks for replies about my problem post. The plumbing problem is cleared up. I don't know why I had to be vetted. I've been a member over a year. Oh well, life happens.
Please let me say thanks from all non-plumbers who don't understand forum etiquette. Everyone should understand the value you pros share & be grateful. I haven't seen a forum for drapery installers, but if anyone ever needs advice on hanging stuff on the wall, holler my way.

Everyone should understand the value you pros share & be grateful. I haven't seen a forum for drapery installers, but if anyone ever needs advice on hanging stuff on the wall, holler my way.
I don't like molly-type or toggle bolts at all. What do you consider the best alternate mounting solution for hanging things on 1/2" drywall that weigh up to fifty pounds where you can't hit a stud?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

What are you hanging? Pictures, shelf, drapery? Lots of different answers.
Molly's & toggles are very different animals. Toggles are stronger than molly's, but mollys have distinct advantages when they're enough. Once you assemble & insert a toggle you lose the wing part if you need to take it out. Molly's don't care. You can remove & reinsert the screw all you want. When it's time to patch, toggles leave a bigger hole. The trick to remove Molly's is to start with a small screwdriver & carefully lift the edge of the flat part just enough to grab it with wire cutters (the tool formerly known as dikes) & break that part off. Poke the remaining part through & you have 1/4" hole instead of at least a 1/2" from toggle. The biggest problem with mollys is over tightening. As you tighten a molly, the wings pull up flat against the wall. If you keep going the whole thing collapses into a wad & starts digging into the wall. Try a couple on a scrap piece of s-rock to see. Also, with the bigger molleys (& sometimes even the 1/4" ones) they'll just twist in the hole before they start to pull in. Don't start driving them at full speed on your drill.
I don't remember the name of the strongest hollow wall anchor. It's much newer than the molly or toggle. It's kinda a mash up of a molly, a toggle, & an easy anchor. (Easy anchors look like big funky screws with really coarse threads. More on them later but don't use them.) These anchors drill into the wall using a Phillips bit. The part that snugs against the wall is what looks like the easy anchor. When you keep driving the screw pushes a piece out like a toggle. Keep driving & the screw pulls that piece against the wall. You can take the screw back out, too. This anchor leaves a huge hole.
The max weight for an easy anchor is a thermostat. More on that another time.
Well I need to get ready and go help break down & load a disaster relief field kitchen. We did a demo/promo yesterday as part of an event. With all the devastating weather lately we need more volunteers.
Later...

This is the style anchor I said not to use. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Prime-L...-Zip-It-Wall-Anchors-1-Pack-MP10781/317693439
Some people love these. They leave gaping holes in the wall. They're very hard to tighten just right. Just a little over right & they start to strip out. Then you have no holding power.
In my 25 + years installing, a lot of people would ask me to fix something that was hang loose or fell off the wall. Most often it was towel bars, TP holder, etc. I could count on 1 hand the times the failed anchor was not this type anchor.
I remember one time I had to use the metal version if this style. The supplied screw with the item was the only one that would work. It was no more than 1/2" long. I just happened to land right oh a stud. I had to pre drill a little & screw the anchor into the wood. That left the face of the anchor flush on the wall surface & gave the screw something to bite into immediately. That happened once in 25+ years.
More hints later.

Back