Walk-In Shower in Hallway Bath or Master Bath?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Icarus7AC

Reaction score
Greetings, all! I have 2 full bathrooms - one off the hallway and one master bath. Both currently have the original 35+ year old fiberglass tub/shower combinations. My original plan was to convert the tub/shower in the master bath into a walk-in shower (no tub). Then I wondered if I should convert the hallway bath instead.

I've already been here over 30 years and have no plans to move. But I'd still like to do something that's going to increase the resale value, rather than undermine it. So if I'm going to make this change to only one of the bathrooms, I want to make the correct decision (if there is one - understood that a lot of this is just personal preference). As we get older, the walk-in shower will become a necessity. But no way am I eliminating both tubs.

The bathrooms are small, so there's no option to have both a walk-in shower AND a tub in one or both bathrooms.

What are the opinions out there? Is there a preference to homebuyers regarding "which" of the bathrooms has a tub (in this case, a tub/shower combo)? Does anyone know of a particular building/renovation trend regarding a walk-in shower in the master bath versus the hallway bathroom?

Well said. It does make sense that the hallway bath (which serves as either a guest bath or the main bath for any children living in the house) gives more practical options when both tub and shower are available. I hadn't considered that viewpoint. Thank you for the advice!

To me, it seems as long as you have a bath somewhere, you will not lose value. I would spruce up the master, since this gives you the best bang for the buck upon resale.

Back