Toilet Bowl water level won't stay

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brijo84

Reaction score
Thoughts on what my next course of action might be?

Got a new toilet, doesn't appear to be broken or defective. Already set the fill valve and it fills bowl, but water leaves bowl fairly quick. Confident the wax ring is properly on. No clogs in our drain pipes, but unsure about vent pipe.

Is my first step to try and clear out vent from the roof? What other things do I have to check?

What do you mean when you say, "water leaves bowl fairly quick"? Are you saying after the flush and after the fill valve cycles that the water level in the bowl drops to the point of not having a water seal? Or is the level in the bowl lower than you think it should be?

The surface area of the water in the bowl, the water spot, varies between brands of toilets. So, you need to let us know what toilet you have. Also, pictures or a video of your bowl in operation would help.

What do you mean when you say, "water leaves bowl fairly quick"? Are you saying after the flush and after the fill valve cycles that the water level in the bowl drops to the point of not having a water seal? Or is the level in the bowl lower than you think it should be?

The surface area of the water in the bowl, the water spot, varies between brands of toilets. So, you need to let us know what toilet you have. Also, pictures or a video of your bowl in operation would help.
Yeah the fill valve does it's thing and stops. The water in the bowl then recedes to a fairly low amount within 30 seconds. It seems excessive to me as the bowl is then fairly empty. I will take a video/pics today and attach a long wit the toilet brand.

You mention no leaks outside the toilet .... so the water from the tank must flow through the flush valve. I would suspect the "flapper" is not making a seal ... or the overflow tube is cracked.
I can think of no other options except the thin plastic refill tube that goes from the fill valve over to the overflow tube is stuck too far down the overflow creating a siphon effect.

4leL0.png

Last edited:
I believe they are referring to water leaving the bowl, not the tank.
Stand corrected ...... that being the case the water level within the bowl is dictated by the height of the trap piping ... or simply put .... the toilet design. The remedy is replacement.

Lack of a proper vent can siphon most of the water out of the trap.

We had that at work along time ago there was a crack in the porcelain that could not be seen until the toilet was pulled , another way it can drain is if the is something in the trap way that's acting like a wick

I had a mystery leak like this, but the drop rate of water in the tank was a bit slower. The possible culprits listed above make the most sense: ill fitting flapper, bowl crack. However, on my old Kohler 2-pc toilet bowl, the problem was in the diaper rubber gasket that sits in between the tank and the bowl. It's the rubber part under the red wrench. I theorize that the rubber part on the bottom of the overflow tube did not make a perfect seal and water flowed down to the diaper into the bowl. It was an unpleasant weekend repair, but allowed me to save a toilet bowl from the good old days before the gubmint forced low gallon per flush bowls on us.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Fluidma...Install-Tools-K-400H-021-P8/312549423#overlay

Back