Utility sink in unfinished basement

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevekr1

Reaction score
DIY er here. We would like to install utility sink in our unfinished basement. No studs, just fiberglass insulation over concrete wall. We have access to water lines above, and I can bring pex behind the insulation. Will figure drain line later.
My question is what would be the best way to install stub outs.
Could I place a drop ear 90 on a 2x4 attached to the concrete and add a stub out to this?
Any suggestion appreciated

Drop ear 90 will work on the stud couple of bress nipples and ips stops, this way if the stops fail at some point you can just unthread and replace keep your water lines away from the cold area

Last edited:
DIY er here. We would like to install utility sink in our unfinished basement. No studs, just fiberglass insulation over concrete wall. We have access to water lines above, and I can bring pex behind the insulation. Will figure drain line later.
Could I place a drop ear 90 on a 2x4 attached to the concrete and add a stub out to this?
Any suggestion appreciated
If it’s just an unfinished basement I would just use a top fed laundry tub faucet

If you use a male adapter, or a brass nipple to stub out of the wall there will be male threads showing out of the wall then you can thread a chrome or brass stop on, making it easier to change if necessary ips= iron pipe size got it, then
If your dropping down onto the top of the sink and using that bracket, you would use copper and male adapters for stability

Will figure drain line later.
I'd be figuring the drain FIRST, not last. That is generally a bit more difficult than running PEX tubing.

I'd fasted a wood piece direct to the concrete, set into the fiberglass wall covering/insulation. Mount the sink to that. You could do similar for the supply lines from above.

Make sure about your wood connecting to your concrete,
PT or naturally durable wood is required unless the wood is separated from the concrete with an "impervious moisture barrier

If you use a male adapter, or a brass nipple to stub out of the wall there will be male threads showing out of the wall then you can thread a chrome or brass stop on, making it easier to change if necessary ips= iron pipe size got it, then
If your dropping down onto the top of the sink and using that bracket, you would use copper and male adapters for stability
Thanks, as far as the stop, I see mostly compression ones available.
Will that work on threaded nipple?.
What are the copper male adaptors you mentioned?
Appreciate your input

Back