Trench digging

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J Digs

Reaction score
Hi, new member here out of central NJ. Not sure if I'm posting this in the right area but.... I hope it's ok that I signed up here to ask a question to get some plumbers opinions and input. The question is about digging trenches for plumbing pipe, drains, etc.

I purchased a small John Deere tractor with a backhoe years ago to build myself a detached garage. I dug the foundation, trenches for the gas line and electric etc. Now the tractor is paid off and I'm wondering if it can be of value to me to work with plumbers who need trenches dug. The tractor is small and won't tear up the lawn, which is nice, but it does the work of 10 men when it comes to digging.

So I guess I have a few questions....

When you have some pipe to lay, and a trench to dig, do you do it yourself or do you sub it out?

Do you have a guy, or wish you had a guy (potentially like me) that you can call, who will come out and dig the trench for you?

And if so, does the digger get paid by you or by the homeowner as a separate contract?

Basically, just wondering if I should invest the money in a trailer to haul my machine and if this might be a viable side gig?

I would of course get insurance for this and make sure that 811 is called to identify anything underground before digging.

I'm open to your opinions and thanks in advance for your time.

Attachments

• JD.JPG
    JD.JPG
    97.7 KB · Views: 0
  • JD2.jpg
    JD2.jpg
    490.5 KB · Views: 0
Welcome. I'd recommend you become acquainted with some local plumbers, let them know what you have, and how you can make their job easier. One of the founding admins here has about 10 tractors, backhoes and dump trucks. He parks them on his property, and seems everyone just drives up, negotiates a deal, and he does the job. Being a contractor, with insurance and the right licensing, is a must.

you will need a excavation contractors license i my area . also insurance , image hitting a gas main and have an evacuation of a town

Where I used to have a home in Michigan, the septic pumping contractor used a guy like you with a mini-excavator to dig for new work or repairs on drain fields…so there is a market! Probably lots of direct to consumer work too, for grading, spreading etc. Got a PTO? Then the possibilities are endless!

Thanks everyone for the input. I'm going to start the process of getting a contractors license, insurance, then a trailer etc. and whatever else I need. So far I haven't seen any requirements for an excavation license down here in NJ but will do some more research.
And yes, my tractor does have a PTO so I will be able to add different implements to it down the line if needed.

Thanks everyone for the input. I'm going to start the process of getting a contractors license, insurance, then a trailer etc. and whatever else I need. So far I haven't seen any requirements for an excavation license down here in NJ but will do some more research.
And yes, my tractor does have a PTO so I will be able to add different implements to it down the line if needed.
I would check with the state of New Jersey licensing division, wherever that is, and really speak with a human being about licensing for excavation. The contractors license is great but might make you go through a whole lot of time-consuming and costly learning, which is great but it may not be of any value to you if all you’re going to do is dig trenches and related things with your tractor. I mean, really, do you need to know about how to evaluate truss design, or flashing around windows or doors or insulation requirements if what you’re doing is digging outside?

It’s all great know and there’s nothing wrong with the contractors license, but it might be easier to just Start with what you need… and insurance will be the first thing. You don’t want to bill from the gas company or the water company when you tear up a line accidentally.

I would check with the state of New Jersey licensing division, wherever that is, and really speak with a human being about licensing for excavation. The contractors license is great but might make you go through a whole lot of time-consuming and costly learning, which is great but it may not be of any value to you if all you’re going to do is dig trenches and related things with your tractor. I mean, really, do you need to know about how to evaluate truss design, or flashing around windows or doors or insulation requirements if what you’re doing is digging outside?

It’s all great know and there’s nothing wrong with the contractors license, but it might be easier to just Start with what you need… and insurance will be the first thing. You don’t want to bill from the gas company or the water company when you tear up a line accidentally.
And even if there is some type of "excavating contractor" license available, knowledge and training on shoring requirements, angle of repose of various soil types, etc., may be required.

Remember, the government exists to keep us safe. LOL.

Learning about shoring walls to prevent collapse is a must.
Absolutely! My point was simply that my thinking is the OP is wanting to dig some shallow trenches with his equipment, but to do so, he may require some rather extensive training/education for stuff he cannot perform with his current equipment. And the licensing requirements may be such that he cannot do the little jobs without that extensive knowledge.

The contractors license is great but might make you go through a whole lot of time-consuming and costly learning, which is great but it may not be of any value to you if all you’re going to do is dig trenches and related things with your tractor. I mean, really, do you need to know about how to evaluate truss design, or flashing around windows or doors or insulation requirements if what you’re doing is digging outside?
Interestingly enough, here in NJ, getting a contractors license is as easy as filling out a form, registering with the state to pay sales tax and paying a fee. You don't have to pass a test or know diddly squat about houses to get one. That's a fact.
Now if you want to get a home inspectors license, that's a different story. 180 hours of classroom instruction and 40 hrs of unpaid field training, then pass a 200 question test with at least a grade of 80%.

But so far, I've found no info on the need for an excavators license.

Back