How do i fix this?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cotdondo

Reaction score
This plumbing is from a shower and a kitchen sink. There is no vent pipe at all.

The kitchen sink has a p trap and an AAV, but no vent. So there are traps on the same line which trap air.

How do I fix this?

1000003484.jpg1000003482.jpg1000003481.jpg

Attachments

• 1000003481.jpg
    1000003481.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 1000003483.jpg
    1000003483.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 1000003482.jpg
    1000003482.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
3" tee at the bottom needs to be a combo. Rubber fernco coupling needs to be a shielded coupling. Shower needs its own vent, you could use an AAV if codes allow. Shower tailpiece is too long, trap needs to be raised up. Kitchen should have a trap above floor in the cabinet, if that's the case remove the kitchen trap in the picture. AAV needs to be minimum 6" above the trap arm of the fixture it serves. Horizontal to vertical transitions need to be done with a santee. Vertical to horizontal needs to be a combo.

How many times has the shower drain been replaced? Lol.

3" tee at the bottom needs to be a combo. Rubber fernco coupling needs to be a shielded coupling. Shower needs its own vent, you could use an AAV if codes allow. Shower tailpiece is too long, trap needs to be raised up. Kitchen should have a trap above floor in the cabinet, if that's the case remove the kitchen trap in the picture. AAV needs to be minimum 6" above the trap arm of the fixture it serves. Horizontal to vertical transitions need to be done with a santee. Vertical to horizontal needs to be a combo.

How many times has the shower drain been replaced? Lol.
Well I had a guy randomly drive through and we had a long chat. Apparently the guy who maintained this many years ago used whatever material was handy; the basement bears this out. There's galvanized screwed into black iron, PVC, some other unidentified plastic, not a vent in sight. Random bits of copper pipe connecting to galvanized and plastic for supply.

The kitchen sink will not drain until it burps a lot of air.

I got a $100 budget for materials to fix this. So baby steps. I'd like to rip out all of it, replace it with Sched 80 and PEX for supply, but with a $100 to work with I'm going for making the kitchen sink drain without burping sewer gas.

And yes, this is a non-profit, and I'm staying here rent free as part of my job, so all is good.

Latest posts

Back