Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

t.mcginley.jr

Reaction score
Hi all, my house came with a well setup that must have been the primary water source before they offered municipal water. House was built in the 60s.

Anyway, I believe it's a deep well as there are two pvc pipes going into the jet pump, but I dont know anything about the well itself. There's two old steel pipes coming thru the slab that I'm assuming are original, so I'm assuming the previous owner had some work done to the well. The pump was a 1/2 hp but sounded terrible like it had a bad bearing. I replaced it with a 1 hp pump in hopes of using the well for my new irrigation system. The pump feeds a ~30 gallon pressure tank that then goes to my sprinkler system.

My problem (which existed before replacing the pump too) is that the pump runs for a long time to build pressure. It was my understanding the pump should cycle on/off to keep the expansion tank full. The pump came with a 30-50 pressure switch. I have it set to kick on right around 30 psi and off at 45. I can literally only run two sprinkler heads at a time otherwise it runs out of water. Pump kicks on when it hits 30 psi in the tank and doesn't stop running until the sprinklers are done watering. Even then it takes a good 10-15 minutes to get back up to 45 psi.

What's the deal?

The ejector at the bottom of those two pipes in the well are just as important as the pump. You should have gotten a new ejector with the new pump, as it would be a different size than the one on the 1/2HP pump. If the jet nozzle in the ejector is correct a two pipe deep well jet pump can easily make over 100 PSI.
PK1A Deep Well Jet Two Pipes.jpg

Back