Toilet problems

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

c1walls

Reaction score
Hi, so I live in San Diego and started having some slow draining issues when we got a lot of rain this spring. Since everything was so wet, I figured my landlord prob couldn't do much about it anyways... even if tank was full. My shower was slow to drain and if I ran too much water into my kitchen sink, it would back up into my shower.... now all that seems fine after I poured some vinegar down the drains.

However, I still have a problem with my toilet. It flushes right on days that I don't take a shower or do too many dishes and on days that I do, when I try and flush it backs up into the bowl (water does not go down) and also bathroom sink water backs up into the toilet. Do you think I have a full septic or some other issue like a clog or vent issue? It seems like there is a definite connection to how much water goes into the system and the way it works. I am not here that much- but of course still want all of my plumbing working all of the time.

I am sure my landlord would pump the system for me or help me solve it. However, I just wanted to check to see if there is anything else that I can do on my own as I am trying to be a no problem perfect tenant in a tough rental market... Thank you!!!

I would suspect that you just have a partial blockage. The first step is to snake the drain lines to the septic tank and hopefully that will solve you slow drainage that appears to be based on the amount of flow rate that you've described.

There should not be any correlation between the amount of rain you've have and the slow flow from your drains, unless the septic leach field is totally blinded.

Back