Water Heater recommendations

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nicnez

Reaction score
I'm needing to replace a 40 gal gas hot water heater. What brands or models should I consider? Which ones should I stay away from? One of the larger plumbing co. in my area supplies ProLine by American which I've not heard a lot about. Thanks and take care

I primarily install Bradford White. But you should use a brand that is readily available in your area for any warranty issues.

I primarily install Bradford White. But you should use a brand that is readily available in your area for any warranty issues.
Yes but your family owns the company so your recommendation doesn’t hit the same. You never sent me those Bradford-White wrist bands either. I promised some hot chicks I was getting them and now I look like a douche………

Not to hijack this thread, but the title seems close enough ...
What do you folks experience as replacement cost for a 50 gal gas water heater?
Ten years ago it cost us about $1400, today so far we have quotes at $3000 plus ...
Seems way out of proportion!

I'm needing to replace a 40 gal gas hot water heater. What brands or models should I consider? Which ones should I stay away from? One of the larger plumbing co. in my area supplies ProLine by American which I've not heard a lot about. Thanks and take care
I have a Rheem Marathon WH, which was installed when I built the house. It's 8 years old now. It's plastic and the tank has a lifetime warranty (for what that's worth) and the plastic, of course, will never rust out. But you have metal fittings passing through the double-wall plastic tank and the possibility of those interfaces leaking, especially over many years, is certainly a potential problem and I think some of the pros on this forum will attest to those potential problems. Nonethess, mine has performed flawlessly and I would certainly recommend the Marathon WH. The heating elements are specific to the Marathon WH and you cannot use off-the-shelf heating elements with it, so when I bought the WH, I also bought a spare set of heating elements (the upper and lower are different from each other) that I have ready for when either of the originals burn out. I have a 50 gallon unit, and the Marathon WH is $500 +/- more expensive than a generic electric WH.

I have a Rheem Marathon WH, which was installed when I built the house. It's 8 years old now. It's plastic and the tank has a lifetime warranty (for what that's worth) and the plastic, of course, will never rust out. But you have metal fittings passing through the double-wall plastic tank and the possibility of those interfaces leaking, especially over many years, is certainly a potential problem and I think some of the pros on this forum will attest to those potential problems. Nonethess, mine has performed flawlessly and I would certainly recommend the Marathon WH. The heating elements are specific to the Marathon WH and you cannot use off-the-shelf heating elements with it, so when I bought the WH, I also bought a spare set of heating elements (the upper and lower are different from each other) that I have ready for when either of the originals burn out. I have a 50 gallon unit, and the Marathon WH is $500 +/- more expensive than a generic electric WH.
Buying spare proprietary heating elements was an incredibly brilliant thing to do.

It prevents you from coming back here in 15 years sobbing "where can I find heating elements for my 23 year old Rheem Marathon..."

Not to hijack this thread, but the title seems close enough ...
What do you folks experience as replacement cost for a 50 gal gas water heater?
Ten years ago it cost us about $1400, today so far we have quotes at $3000 plus ...
Seems way out of proportion!
Replacement cost, or "having it replaced?" Huge difference.

Around here, a typical 50 gallon gas water heater costs, retail, about $700-$1300. The huge spread there depends on venting, warranty, etc. Atmospheric vent is cheapest, direct vent and power vent more. Longer warranties cost more. Those prices are about double from what they were about 20-25 years ago, but then again what hasn't gone up?

What has skyrocketed is installation costs. If you are doing a "direct swap" with essentially the same water heater (say one of those $700 models), $3K seems excessive for the amount of work involved.

Back