sloppy solder job by builder? - replace section of copper pipe?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lbspartx

Reaction score
Hello all, I want to add tees to my hot and cold 3/4" supply lines located in the wall of my garage for a utility sink. I was going to use sharkbite slip tees but one of the lines is really messy on the outside where I want to add the tee. Here are my questions:

1) Is that just a really bad solder job for the coupling done by the builder? see close up view in first attached picture. The crap on the outside appears to be solder.

2) Should I just replace the bad/messy section of pipe (see second picture showing section to be replaced) with the tee added? If so, can I use sharkbite and pex for that? I don't have experience with soldering which is why I'm wanting to use sharkbite fittings.

The third picture shows my overall plan:
1) location of rough in for hot and cold supply (1/2 pex) to utility sink - to be located 18" from the floor
2) replace messy section of supply line (see previous questions) with tee added for cold water supply - run 3/4" pex through stud to next stud bay
3) sharkbite slip tee for hot water - outside of pipe is clean so using sharkbite shouldn't be an issue.
4) reducing elbow from 3/4 to 1/2 pex
5) connect sharkbite 3/4" slip tee to sharbite reducing elbow (3/4" to 1/2") using a short piece of 3/4" pex (doesn't seem like the best solution - is there a better way to do this?)
6) ty into main sewer stack for sink drain.

Any suggestions how how to do things better?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Attachments

• PXL_20240701_093650348.jpg
    PXL_20240701_093650348.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot 2024-07-01 045506.jpg
    Screenshot 2024-07-01 045506.jpg
    213.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot 2024-07-01 050327.jpg
    Screenshot 2024-07-01 050327.jpg
    240.7 KB · Views: 0
Yes, really bad workmanship on soldering, including not wiping flux residue resulting in verdigris.

Use a AAV (air admittance valve) for the utility sink vent.
I've never used sharkbite slip tee so can't contribute there.
I'd recommend finding a local one man shop or retired plumber to come ProPress what you want.

That's probably the worst soldering job I've ever seen. Wow. I'm not surprised it's Texas. No offense but I heard Texas has the least amount of codes and builder standards. But in Florida, we have the same underlying problem with new home construction. And this is why I love my 1957 house that was built like a bomb shelter. The underlying problem is that today, developers just sub-contract the work out to god know's who. You have so many different people coming and going and don't work together. In the older days, the same guys would build a house together and have to have higher standards when they rough in things for their coworkers. The race to greed has killed everything.

Latest posts

Back