One toilet siphons from another

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Strawman

Reaction score
I have two toilets sitting back to back in adjacent bathrooms.....master and guest bathrooms. When I flush the toilet in the Master Bath, it seems to cause a vacuum and pulls some of the water out of the bowl of the guest bathroom, until the guest toilet water level is down to the bowl outlet. I have attached a picture of the plumbing under the toilets. Is there anything I should do to correct this siphon out of the Guest toilet when the Master is flushed?

Attachments

• Adjoining Toilets.jpg
    Adjoining Toilets.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Common issue. The following illustration shows the proper double back to back fitting.
Should you bother?
1719850719602.png

Thanks for this, Breplum. Couple questions:

1. When you say "Should you bother?"....do you mean it doesn't matter or worth the cost to change? I realize it may not make much difference in the guest toilet's function, but aesthetically it's somewhat concerning when in using the toilet the water level is down at the bowl outlet.

2. If I do change the plumbing setup as you illustrate, are there any skinny plumbers? (one has to shimmy under heating/cooling ducts, etc to get to this.

This house was built in 1982....not sure if this plumbing setup was code here at that time.

1. I haven't changed mine in the 28 years I've been living with it.
2. yes, "some" plumbing companies do have skinny crew. Crawling costs more than easy conditions. Often if a house is poorly designed in crawl space, ducts must be removed and then replaced.
We remove ducts, (replace with updated, better R-value ducts, add visqueen plastic to slither around on, all for $250/hr. per man.

Thanks, again. The only "minor" inconvenience is when the guest toilet's water level is down to the bowl outlet level, and the Master toilet is flushed, it blows air back to the guest toilet and when that those air bubbles break the surface it causes water to splash up to the toilet cover on the guest unit. So.......unless this "fix" is the only one left to do on my house (which I assure you is not), it will be a long time before it gets to the top of my "list of things to do today"......I may be living with this just as yourself. Thanks!

Latest posts

Back