Plumbing leak?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don55

Reaction score
I have a house in Arizona I use in the winter. I have house checkers that come every 2 weeks when we’re not there. They turn the water on to the house when they arrive then go in and turn all taps on flush toilets and start dishwasher and washing machine. They take about 70 pics of everything they do and when they leave they take a pic of the main shutoff valve in the closed position. Well they came back two weeks ago and there was water on the floor in the laundry room and the two bedrooms adjacent to the laundry room which have carpet, the areas closest to the laundry room were wet. They said the washing machine was over flowing with water. So with the water shut off how could the water get in the washing machine and overflow. I have a pic of the main shutoff closed. So I know thier not lying. So does anyone have any ideas how this could happen?

Could it have pulled a vaccum from the water heater. Is your water heater above the wash machine. I cant think of anyway to get water into a fixture while the main is shut off, without siphoning from water heater. Twowax may have better insight, i have been on the industrial side for years

The hot water tank is in the garage on a pedestal. But how would the washing machine draw water past the float or limit switch in it. Maybe a question for appliance guy. The checkers said tub was overflowing.

How close to the border are you? Of course, that really doesn't matter as our government is sending the people entering our country illegally to cities all over our nation.
The good news is you stated the issue was water and not waste water/sewage.

For water to overflow the bathtub, the drain had to be closed, a faucet had to be open, and water had to be available under pressure in the supply line.

For water to overflow the washing machine, one or both of the washing machine solenoid valves would have to be open (meaning the controls of the washing machine malfunctioned on their own, assuming the machine was turned off when the checkers left), and water had to be available under pressure in the supply line.
And just a point of information for you, a water heater doesn't have a float or limit switch in it. The tank is always full of water and supplies hot water under the pressure of the cold-water supply line.

So, your main shutoff could be leaking, but there needed to be some strange things going on for the tub and the washing machine to overflow as you describe.

How close to the border are you? Of course, that really doesn't matter as our government is sending the people entering our country illegally to cities all over our nation.
The good news is you stated the issue was water and not waste water/sewage.

For water to overflow the bathtub, the drain had to be closed, a faucet had to be open, and water had to be available under pressure in the supply line.

For water to overflow the washing machine, one or both of the washing machine solenoid valves would have to be open (meaning the controls of the washing machine malfunctioned on their own, assuming the machine was turned off when the checkers left), and water had to be available under pressure in the supply line.
And just a point of information for you, a water heater doesn't have a float or limit switch in it. The tank is always full of water and supplies hot water under the pressure of the cold-water supply line.

So, your main shutoff could be leaking, but there needed to be some strange things going on for the tub and the washing machine to overflow as you describe.
I think you miss interpreted me, when I said (they said tub was overflowing) i meant the washing machine tub was overflowing, not the bathtub.

Back