Help removing the handle in my shower faucet

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeterInCO

Reaction score
Hi folks, this started when the bathroom's user told me the faucet no longer works. The single valve handle just wiggles around, without doing anything.

I removed the handle and removed the screw from the center of the outer metal piece, but now can't remove that piece. I believe the cartridge in there needs to be replaced, but I can't get to it. It's a Moen, and more than 10 years old, I believe.

I'm the home owner / person trying to avoid calling a plumber here, to be clear.

Thanks for any ideas!

Attachments

• PXL_20240922_221959851.jpg
    PXL_20240922_221959851.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20240922_221952105.jpg
    PXL_20240922_221952105.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
It’s a moen.

Grab the handle adapter with pliers and wiggle back and forth while pulling outward.

Then side the tube behind the handle adapter off pulling toward you.

It’s a moen.

Grab the handle adapter with pliers and wiggle back and forth while pulling outward.

Then side the tube behind the handle adapter off pulling toward you.

Thanks. Is there any risk of breaking something / unleashing a torrent of water? Just tugging gently on it, it's very firmly stuck on there and I got nervous about damaging something seriously. I've sprayed it with WD-40 a bunch but it's not budging yet.

EDIT: I pulled with pliers, hit it a bunch of times with a hammer. It's not coming off. Is there a Plan B before I call in a pro?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Back