Mysterious Patio Door Leak During Heavy Rain

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

icu222much

Reaction score
I live in the Pacific Northwest and have been dealing with a leak in my patio door. The problem occurs during heavy rainfall, typically after two days of continuous rain. Water starts dripping from the plastic trim above the door (as shown in photos #3 and #4). I haven't been able to pinpoint where the leak originates before it reaches the plastic trim.

Initially, I suspected that cracks in the exterior top of the patio door trim (which looks like cracked grout) might be the culprit. To test this, I sprayed the area with a hose for an hour to mimic heavy rain, but no leaks appeared.

I'm stumped and could use some advice. Does anyone have ideas on where else the leak might be coming from or how I can trace its source without having to tear down the wall? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    273.9 KB · Views: 1
  • 04.jpg
    04.jpg
    260.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 05.jpg
    05.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1
  • 06.jpg
    06.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
If it's a patio for you may want a carpenter
Did it always leak
Did it just start leaking
Does your door open and close the way it always has
Have you put a 4' level on the top sides and bottom in the caulking broken away
I think there are screws that hold the door into the frame have they loosened check the easy stuff 1st

If it's a patio for you may want a carpenter
Did it always leak
Did it just start leaking
Does your door open and close the way it always has
Have you put a 4' level on the top sides and bottom in the caulking broken away
I think there are screws that hold the door into the frame have they loosened check the easy stuff 1st

Sorry for the late reply. To answer your questions:
- It has always leaked. Last year, when I noticed the leak, I applied caulking to the exterior top of the patio door trim. It leaked a lot less this year so I assumed there was a small gap in the caulk. I however soaked the patio door trim with a garden hose and was unable to re-produce the leak.
- The patio door still functions like how it should
- I placed the level on the trim, and it shows it is relatively flat. What is the purpose of this step?
- I can't find any screws on the door or the door frame

Sorry for the late reply. To answer your questions:
- It has always leaked. Last year, when I noticed the leak, I applied caulking to the exterior top of the patio door trim. It leaked a lot less this year so I assumed there was a small gap in the caulk. I however soaked the patio door trim with a garden hose and was unable to re-produce the leak.
- The patio door still functions like how it should
- I placed the level on the trim, and it shows it is relatively flat. What is the purpose of this step?
- I can't find any screws on the door or the door frame
The leak may be originating above the door, around the window.

It’ll get behind the siding and run down to the door below then run out.

I suggest hire a person that installs windows and doors for a living to diagnose and repair the problem. You certainly do not need a plumber.

The leak may be originating above the door, around the window.

It’ll get behind the siding and run down to the door below then run out.

I suggest hire a person that installs windows and doors for a living to diagnose and repair the problem. You certainly do not need a plumber.
2wax is correct there are a lot of forums out there

Back