Gas piping sizing chart

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davidhvac

Reaction score
Hi , can any one help me to find table chart for gas piping sizing and btu for

Model
al 425 maop 10 psi 425 cfh @ 1/2 diff

I’m looking for the right IMG_2224.jpegpipe chart

I doubt your operating pressure is 10 psi. That’s just what the meter is rated for.

Max allowable operating pressure

You need to find out what pressure is available at your meter outlet. It’s not going to be 10psi. Pinky promise

I doubt your operating pressure is 10 psi. That’s just what the meter is rated for.

Max allowable operating pressure

You need to find out what pressure is available at your meter outlet. It’s not going to be 10psi. Pinky promise
It’s residential house
That’s probably why I was confused
So for the average house should I use

https://issuu.com/summersetgrills/docs/gas-pipe-sizing-chart
If not can you please send me a link which one you think I should use

Attachments

• IMG_2230.png
    IMG_2230.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
You must know your outlet pressure in order to use a chart.

What’s your outlet pressure ?

Call the service provider and ask what pressure your meter outlet based on your house address.

It’s residential house
That’s probably why I was confused
So for the average house should I use

https://issuu.com/summersetgrills/docs/gas-pipe-sizing-chart
If not can you please send me a link which one you think I should use
What are you trying to do? As you are looking at the meter, are you trying to design the entire gas piping layout for the house?

You can't add a gas user to the end of an existing gas line and not look at its impact on gas flow to other users upstream of your tie-in. But as your attachment is from a gas grill website, if that is what you are doing, you'd probably be OK.

What are you trying to do? As you are looking at the meter, are you trying to design the entire gas piping layout for the house?

You can't add a gas user to the end of an existing gas line and not look at its impact on gas flow to other users upstream of your tie-in. But as your attachment is from a gas grill website, if that is what you are doing, you'd probably be OK.
My outlet pressure 6wc
I’m looking to run 40-50 feet line to the other side of the house for tankless water heater
I need that it will be enough 200 k btu
I’m not sure if 1 “ will be enough or I should go with 1.25
It will be very helpful if you let me know which gas piping chart I should look on
Base on outlet pressure from my gas meter is 6 wc

My outlet pressure 6wc
I’m looking to run 40-50 feet line to the other side of the house for tankless water heater
I need that it will be enough 200 k btu
I’m not sure if 1 “ will be enough or I should go with 1.25
It will be very helpful if you let me know which gas piping chart I should look on
Base on outlet pressure from my gas meter is 6 wc

Based off your numbers 1.25” pipe to be safe.

Each fitting adds 5’ to the line, so with that figured in your line would be 100+ feet, that’s an estimate of course.

1.25” will run 266k btu at 100’ run. So you’d probably have a little extra if you needed more gas one day on that side of house. It will run 215k BTU’s at 150’

1” only runs 126k btu at 100’. The run would have to be less that 35’ without any fittings to use 1” at 200k btu.

All of the above considers a 5”-7” outlet pressure, which is what you have. These are estimates

This is for steel pipe.

Last edited:
With what you are doing, and the quantity of gas you will need for a tankless water heater, you need to evaluate your entire natural gas system. Depending on where in your gas piping system you are connecting this new service, you very well may need to re-pipe and/or increase the size of some of the existing piping in your home.

Checkout this tutorial.

With what you are doing, and the quantity of gas you will need for a tankless water heater, you need to evaluate your entire natural gas system. Depending on where in your gas piping system you are connecting this new service, you very well may need to re-pipe and/or increase the size of some of the existing piping in your home.

Checkout this tutorial.

He needs to connect it directly to the meter outlet.

Yes, of course he could be maxed out already so it’s a good idea to write down the existing load and add it to the new load and make sure you’re not exceeding the max allowable for the meter.

But if he connects at the meter outlet to 1..25” tee, the new line will be sized properly if the old piping is satisfactory now then it should be after provided the meter will handle the demand.

I really appreciate all the help! And explaining everything thing!
Can you help me to find the gas piping sizing chart if you can send me a link or screen shot
Using black iron piping
for outlet pressure 6 wc
I would really appreciate it

I really appreciate all the help! And explaining everything thing!
Can you help me to find the gas piping sizing chart if you can send me a link or screen shot
Using black iron piping
for outlet pressure 6 wc
I would really appreciate it
You posted it earlier, you already have it.

I once installed a second NG fireplace. I teed off 3/4 gas line, ran it 45 feet, using (5) 90 degree elbows. I lit the fireplace and it put out a flame equivalent to a Bic lighter. With that brainfart, I learned a valuable lesson.:rolleyes:

He needs to connect it directly to the meter outlet.

Yes, of course he could be maxed out already so it’s a good idea to write down the existing load and add it to the new load and make sure you’re not exceeding the max allowable for the meter.

But if he connects at the meter outlet to 1..25” tee, the new line will be sized properly if the old piping is satisfactory now then it should be after provided the meter will handle the demand.
Yes, that is why I said, "You can't add a gas user to the end of an existing gas line and not look at its impact on gas flow to other users upstream of your tie-in." And, "Depending on where in your gas piping system you are connecting this new service, you very well may need to re-pipe and/or increase the size of some of the existing piping in your home."

Back