How much pvc cement ?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ludington

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know I probably use to much, but thought I would test it.
Took a 3/4 coupling and primered and cement, when I pushed the pipe in, it pushed a bunch in front of it causing the inside diameter to close by about a third.. so, way to much. How do you apply it so there is enough but not to much ?

I bevel the cut end of my pvc so the sharp edge doesn’t push your cement out of the joint.

I aggressively use the dauber to apply the cement to the outside of the pipe and the inside of the fitting.

Buy the appropriate size dauber in your can of cement for the size pipe.

I Wipe off the excess cement from the outside of the joint, In other words I treat it like your sister. Just kidding Bro 🤣

I bevel the cut end of my pvc so the sharp edge doesn’t push your cement out of the joint.

I aggressively use the dauber to apply the cement to the outside of the pipe and the inside of the fitting.

Buy the appropriate size dauber in your can of cement for the size pipe.

I Wipe off the excess cement from the outside of the joint, In other words I treat it like your sister. Just kidding Bro 🤣
With my test, I did bevel the front. I was surprised as to how much it pushed up on the inside. Try it somtime and look inside, see how much you get.
It almost made me want to squeegee the dauber off.

With my test, I did bevel the front. I was surprised as to how much it pushed up on the inside. Try it somtime and look inside, see how much you get.
It almost made me want to squeegee the dauber off.
Well if it’s thick cement then can can apply too much. All you need is a light coat.

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't it the solvent action of any of this cement, the actual "melting" of the two surfaces together to form a continuous piece of PVC that "welds" the joint, and wonder if there thinner versions of this stuff that would work as well or better?

As a rule, you coat both the pipe and the socket, which in itself you would think would lead to... too much solvent. Hard to test methods of application without risking a leak.

As a rule, you coat both the pipe and the socket, which in itself you would think would lead to... too much solvent. Hard to test methods of application without risking a leak.
Light coat is all you need. As I said, the size of the dauber in the can and the viscosity of the cement must be chosen for the application.

There are levels to this ****. YouTube and DIY shows make things seem simple and straight forward but as you’re finding out it’s a little more complicated than it seems.

I learned early on (as I'm sure most pros have) that most often you need to twist the pipe just a bit after assembling the cemented pieces but more importantly, you need to hold them together for a bit. The pipe and fitting like to separate from themselves when "wet".

Here ya go. Read this from cover to cover and learn it.

https://www.charlottepipe.com/uploads/documents/technical/TM-PL.pdf
That's a pretty good reference book. I've been sticking pipe togeather longer than you have been born (well thats an assumption) never had one fail, and never a problem with flow...
I just happened to notice with this last can, it seems kinda thick. So I tested a piece, and thought maybe I'm missing something new here.
Let's ask the experts.

From what I understand they (Charlotte) STILL make some [hubless] metal waste pipe, though instead of the old oakum and lead seals, they use some kind of banding clamp. For the wealthy that can afford it and don't like the sound of a toilet flushing upstairs reverberating through the home.

From what I understand they (Charlotte) STILL make some [hubless] metal waste pipe, though instead of the old oakum and lead seals, they use some kind of banding clamp. For the wealthy that can afford it and don't like the sound of a toilet flushing upstairs reverberating through the home.
I’d rather soundproof the pvc. Pvc will last much longer than no hub cast iron.

Well, I completed my little job this morning while it was cool and I could have my heat pump off. Installed my new flow guage. Had to cut out the. Old , and as I had it apart, I could look down into where an elbow was, and sure enough there was a restrictive ring of glue. I cleaned that out, and glued in a couple more joints that screw togeather, in case it had to come apart again. But I also used a couple 6 inch unions (just to make the job a bit easier and faster.
But when turned back on, my flow had changed to 6.5 gpm instead of 4.5. So either one of the flow guages is off or the restriction was really restricting. Got it set at just below 5 now. I think I'll stick this in the what did you do today thread too...here is my new guage, oh, new glued joints look good, done with a much lighter hand.

Attachments

• 20240903_095857.jpg
    20240903_095857.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
Went to put my pvc cement away, and I could snell it.. so even though upside down and sealed as best I could.. I am trying the next thing I could think of..
Freezer bag with the air sucked out of it. I'll see at some point if that works.

Attachments

• 20240905_161158.jpg
    20240905_161158.jpg
    586.1 KB · Views: 0
Nothings going to make it last forever. Buy smaller cans for projects if possible.

Back