Fernco Cap Underground? Or Better Way To Permanently Close Pipe

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bird Doo Head

Reaction score
Hello All!
I apologize if this is in the wrong section of the forum.

Yesterday, a company removed some driveway and excavated to repair a break in my sewer line. To find the break, they had to remove the manual backwater valve because the camera did not go through it.

The valve was connected to the cast iron 4" building drain on the inlet side and the 6" clay sewer on the outlet side. (Camera work is pending) A 4" schedule 40 PVC jumper pipe was installed between the 4" cast & the 6" clay.

But-
There was a schedule 80 steel access pipe with a rod inside from the top of the valve (connected to the internal operator) It runs inside my basement. In the basement, about 12" below grade outside is a hand wheel to open & close the valve. I cannot get the pipe out without wrecking the concrete block through which it passed.

The left the access pipe bare ended in the dirt. I'd like to permanently seal the pipe against rodents, insects and water. It's under the paved driveway.

My first thought was to use a Fernco cap. Will that cap provide water & rodent protection? The rats here burrow & eat spray foam.
The only other idea I have is hydraulic cement in the pipe. Since I never was brave (dumb?) enough to use this old valve, the inside part of the tube is now inaccessible, so I have to work outside before pavement is restored.

Is there a better, or maybe even approved way to seal this abandoned pipe?

Thanks for sharing your knowledge.
Paul
PS: A backwater valve isn't necessary any longer. The city increased the size of the combined main and decreased the openings on the storm catch basins. Rains don't back up in the basement. (Prior to that, when it rained heavily, I'd put test plugs in the basement floor drains instead of messing with that valve.)

Attachments

• Backwater Valve.png
    Backwater Valve.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
A no-hub cast iron cap and no-hub coupling is what you need, or they should provide.
If adapting to a plastic pipe, then there are specialty couplings that adapt.
get rid of as much clay pipe as you can while exposed.

Back