AO Smith Vertex GPHE 50 ignition weirdness

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rsbaker0

Reaction score
Last evening I heard the above model water heater spin up and shutdown 3 times in quick succession. Sure enough, it was displaying the ignition/flame sensor code this morning on the temperature control. If I power-cycled it, it did the same thing again -- I could hear the burner ignite briefly but it would just cut off within 1-2 seconds and then retry.

Looking at the burner through the viewport during the ignition attempt, I didn't see anything odd except that it looks like the tank or casing may be flaking material that is sprinkled across the floor of the burner compartment. The air intake openings at at the bottom of the water heater were clear and no debris visible.

Thinking that the water heater is 13 years old and I was likely going to have to replace it anyway (and today is a holiday, so prospect of no hot water for a few days), I figured I would try a complete "Hail Mary" of sorts. I got out my electric leaf blower and pulsed it at maximum speed a few times at each air intake opening. Eureka!! Upon restarting, the burner stayed lit on the first attempt and completed a heating cycle.

This seems to suggest that the burner was possibly obstructed by debris and either altering the flame pattern or blocking the flame sensor and I managed to dislodge it temporarily. I was wondering if it seems worthwhile to have the burner inspected and cleaned properly (and possibly replace other low-hanging fruit like flame sensor or igniter at same time) or I am better off just replacing it given its age. Also, do you think it's OK to operate in the meantime?

Being 13 years old, I believe you've answered you own question. Then again, if it works currently, just let us know how long it remains running.

Being 13 years old, I believe you've answered you own question. Then again, if it works currently, just let us know how long it remains running.

Quite likely. Economically, though, it doesn't make sense for me to replace it with another condensing gas hot water heater -- they are very expensive now and I'll only be in the house another year or two. You can get a plain electric for 1/6 the price. I was thinking that if I could get someone to just clean it out quickly for an hour's labor and kick the can down the road some it might be worth it.

Do you think the flakes of material on the floor of the compartment are probably from the water tank (and if so, how thick is the wall of a typical tank when new?)

Thanks.

Seems your tank is rusting from inside the insulation. Will it fail? Yep. When? Nobody can tell you this.

Back