Connecting new dishwasher to solid copper line help...

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zephed666

Reaction score
Hey there! I am replacing a dishwasher that is about 10 years old and was installed with a complete kitchen renovation.
it was hooked up with a solid copper line and is not next to the sink. It is about 10 feet away. Plumbed through the wall...
Without having to call a plumber, I was hoping to replace myself. The original solid line is a bit wonky and not straight. Photo attached...
Guess the inspectors were fine with this since it was an addition on the house that was fully permitted.
I left the old drain pipe from the dishwasher to the drain to show how it was hooked up with the high loop.
I had a few questions regarding the new dishwasher install and
Most dishwashers show the water line coming in on the left side.

Should I just try to bend this copper tubing so it fits on the left side of the dishwasher?
Or just cut it near the wall and add one of these 3/8 in. OD Compression x 3/8 in. MIP Brass Adapter Fitting
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbil...in-MIP-Brass-Adapter-Fitting-800669/207176555
and connect a SS Line to that and the dishwasher?
thanks!!!

Attachments

• IMG_7266.JPEG
    IMG_7266.JPEG
    77.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7268.JPEG
    IMG_7268.JPEG
    119.3 KB · Views: 0
It appears that your dishwasher has an AAV, so I'm guessing that the drain line from the dishwasher enters a P-trap inside the wall. But AAVs MUST be accessible, and it appears that this AAV is buried inside the wall. That is not acceptable. If there was/is an access cover that one can get to the AAV from either side of that wall, you will probably be OK. More investigation is required.

Hey there! I am replacing a dishwasher that is about 10 years old and was installed with a complete kitchen renovation.
it was hooked up with a solid copper line and is not next to the sink. It is about 10 feet away. Plumbed through the wall...
Without having to call a plumber, I was hoping to replace myself. The original solid line is a bit wonky and not straight. Photo attached...
Guess the inspectors were fine with this since it was an addition on the house that was fully permitted.
I left the old drain pipe from the dishwasher to the drain to show how it was hooked up with the high loop.
I had a few questions regarding the new dishwasher install and
Most dishwashers show the water line coming in on the left side.

Should I just try to bend this copper tubing so it fits on the left side of the dishwasher?
Or just cut it near the wall and add one of these 3/8 in. OD Compression x 3/8 in. MIP Brass Adapter Fitting
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbil...in-MIP-Brass-Adapter-Fitting-800669/207176555
and connect a SS Line to that and the dishwasher?
thanks!!!
Where is the other end of that copper line ? It goes into the wall and then where ?

Other end of the copper line goes under the sink to the shut off valve. Copper line runs under the crawl space (insulated line in crawl space) to the sink. Drain is vented in the wall as seen in the photo and runs down into the crawl space under the kitchen. Trap is there. Nothing is buried or hidden in the wall. As I said, this was a fully permitted add on to the house about 10-12 years ago.
Just trying to find the best way possible to connect the new dishwasher to the solid copper line.

Other end of the copper line goes under the sink to the shut off valve. Copper line runs under the crawl space (insulated line in crawl space) to the sink. Drain is vented in the wall as seen in the photo and runs down into the crawl space under the kitchen. Trap is there. Nothing is buried or hidden in the wall. As I said, this was a fully permitted add on to the house about 10-12 years ago.
Just trying to find the best way possible to connect the new dishwasher to the solid copper line.
Most new dishwashers have a male garden hose thread on the unit.

You’ll need one of these to connect to the copper line and it’ll connect to the dishwasher with the hose threads.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbil...VFWFHAR0VSDhnEAQYCCABEgI-OPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Yes, thank you. My concern is the copper line. It is not in the correct place and will need to be shifted over. Can I bend it and if there is not enough length how do I go about connecting to the elbow? Can I add a flex line from the elbow to the copper line if?
that is why I asked if I could run a flex line from the elbow to something like this in my OP...
3/8 in. OD Compression x 3/8 in. MIP Brass Adapter Fitting

Last edited:
Drain is vented in the wall as seen in the photo
Yes, the drain is vented in the wall with an AAV.

Nothing is buried or hidden in the wall.
But the AAV is in the wall and not accessible without pulling the dishwasher out, which makes it pretty much "buried" and/or "hidden" in the wall. That is not per any code. It may have been permitted, but I personally can't imagine an inspector allowing that. But it is what it is as they say.

In regard to the water connection, soft copper tubing can kink when bending it if you are not careful or experienced in using it. And the SS dishwasher connecting hoses are very flexible and easy to work with. That would be my suggestion.

Yes, the drain is vented in the wall with an AAV.

But the AAV is in the wall and not accessible without pulling the dishwasher out, which makes it pretty much "buried" and/or "hidden" in the wall. That is not per any code. It may have been permitted, but I personally can't imagine an inspector allowing that. But it is what it is as they say.

In regard to the water connection, soft copper tubing can kink when bending it if you are not careful or experienced in using it. And the SS dishwasher connecting hoses are very flexible and easy to work with. That would be my suggestion.
Thanks! So I can cut the copper tubing and connect a 3/8 in. OD Compression x 3/8 in. MIP Brass Adapter Fitting to add the SS Connection hose?

Back