Hi all, new member with a PRV question

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert Brown

Reaction score
Thee appears to be a PRV installed both before and after hot water tank supply. cold water inbound to tank has a T that goes to tank and PRV. The outbound hot water also enters PRV. I am told this is a useless install point, and it doesn’t make much sense to me. A leak has developed at the connection between the hot water and the PrV. Really am just trying to fix the leak. Any advice? The red arrow is the leak point.

Attachments

• 12BF8C45-89B9-4F17-8721-3929CC90F72F.jpeg
    12BF8C45-89B9-4F17-8721-3929CC90F72F.jpeg
    512.1 KB · Views: 0
Thee appears to be a PRV installed both before and after hot water tank supply. cold water inbound to tank has a T that goes to tank and PRV. The outbound hot water also enters PRV. I am told this is a useless install point, and it doesn’t make much sense to me. A leak has developed at the connection between the hot water and the PrV. Really am just trying to fix the leak. Any advice? The red arrow is the leak point.
That’s a thermostatic mixing valve.

It mixes hot and cold water to achieve the desired temp of the hot water delivered to your hot water fixtures.

This allows you to have the water heater to store water at a high temperature then dilute that hot water with cold water to reach the desired outlet hot temp to be delivered to your hot water faucets.

A mixing valve would make more sense. Sorry about the cropped photo. Hopefully this helps. I am really hoping I can just reseal that connection and solve the problem, but like to know what I am playing with.

:: update:: now is no hot water. Do these mixers fail? It’s either that, or the water that has collected at the bottom of the tank area has caused the pilot to go out. I don’t see it through the window. I am going to remove the mixer valve temporarily, clean up all the water, and try to relight the pilot. I will just turn the temp down at the tank. Is this a sound plan?

Attachments

• 5295A48A-913D-43C8-986E-F1FB56CF8D5F.jpeg
    5295A48A-913D-43C8-986E-F1FB56CF8D5F.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Back