Advice on correct repair: Broken drain pipe in wall

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gus64

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, was just curious as what's the correct way to repair this? Drain pipe comes down from above sink/tub area and is pretty corroded and separated. Thanks for any suggestions.
1000007149.jpg

All that galvanized and steel pipe needs to be replaced.

Is that wye 3"? It appears that there was a bushing and a close nipple in the branch of the wye, and nipple rusted totally away. The connection at the bottom of the wye also looks pretty rusted. It would be rather difficult to remove the remaining pieces of the bushing and unscrew the 45 from the above drain in place. And in attempting to do that, the connection in the rest of the screwed system, even those outside of the picture, could very likely break. It's time for a major replacement I'm thinking.

Yes, that appears to be a 3" screwed wye. Most any attempt at unscrewing any of those connection could result in more fittings breaking.

A complete replacement is in order I'm afraid.

When you say complete replacement what would that involve? Thanks.
Everything above that point for sure, and probably down to where the steel pipe mates with cast iron, which I assume it does at some point. The condition of the cast iron would determine if you had to go further. As this house is apparently lath and plaster, I'm assuming it is pre-1950?

Wow, this is crazy seeing galvanized pipe for water service or drains. But they didn't have PVC back then so they didn't have a lot of options. One thing I noticed from my old (old by Florida standards) 1957 house is that even when they used copper pipe for drain lines, the DWV drain pipe copper is too thin and after about 30 or 40 years, they fail because of any acids or impurities eats right through the thin wall of the copper pipe. To be honest, what lasted the longest in terms of original construction on my house is the 4 inch cast iron waste/lateral lines. They are so thick that the iron is completely fine under the scale/rusted surface. It seems that unless something is thin, the cast iron actually does well here surprisingly. It's the galvanized steel that is a joke and has no chance here.

Latest posts

Back