What did you do today?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I took a 4 mile walk this morning where the temps were climbing to 100⁰. I got home and drank two bottles of Body Armor, a Gatorade type of drink. I then went swimming for a bit. That Body Armor stuff works really great, but makes me pee ALOT!
I believe it is time to have a nice, cold beer (Coors Light) at my neighbor's pool party.

July 4 I slept in and didn't leave home. Went to flush the toilet and wash my hands and realized water was out. Went out and cistern was low so I tugged on the float lever to turn it on, then saw water pouring out from a disconnected compression fitting. I hadn't looked because I just trusted the guys who fixed the pump were replacing that with couplings and the pipe I had on hand (on inlet side of pump). Pump was humming. So I turned off the power to it. I then tried to push the compression fitting back on and grabbed on to the metal elbow going in to the pump. That was stupid. Cooked my hand. Then tried to get the water running on it to cool it but the water was hot too. I did manage to put things back together and went inside to pour cool water from a bottle onto my hand while I waited for the cistern to fill. An hour later I went back out to see if the pump would work. It filled the toilet up but then the pipe came apart again. So, it looks like the geniuses tried to solvent weld the compression fitting on to the pipe but they only used the medium strength blue cement (not intended for use on wet pipes) and only put it on the fitting and not on the pipe. It managed to hold up for a few weeks but didn't stay. I got 2 unions and will make a fitting about the size of the compression fitting (I think 8" long) to replace it so I can take that piece off in the future for maintenance if need be. The good news is that the water will fill the pump and prime it just from gravity once the cistern is full. Right now I have the compression fitting pushed together to keep water from coming out. But man, when that thing blew apart I got hosed. LOL. Shirt, pants, socks, and shoes were soaked.

I tried to go to bed at a decent hour and then Mom woke me up just before 4am screaming at me about her insulin pump. I'd changed her canula last night and apparently it bent. I had to convince her to let me put a new one on. It has been dosing her with insulin but her blood sugar isn't coming down. Will have to call the tech support on that soon. She's down to 60 units of insulin in the cartridge now so I will have to replace it tomorrow. Hoping this canula didn't bend. I'm going to have to get a different type of canula that has tubing that is easier to remove. This one is really difficult to remove while filling the tubing.

This afternoon I did curbside pickup from HD and Samsclub. I'm going to build a trash bag holder out of PVC pipe-- saw plans for one online for the 55gallon Member's Mark bags. It will hold the bags open while I fill them and it's much cheaper than the ones you can buy in the store. I also got the unionsand stuff to put the pipes in the pump house back together. It was 106°F outside so I'm waiting for it to cool off.

Meanwhile, ceiling is still dripping and I can see wet spots forming near one of the vents. I think it might be some kind of condensation dripping down but not sure how or why. I'll have to get gloves and a bag to take the wet insulation out of the attic once I can bring myself to go up there.

Hips and shoulders were hurting the entire drive home- not sure why I'm aching so much.

Almost forgot to mention, while driving through the town where I got a ticket, I paid very close attention to the signs and realized the cop lied to me about speeding. There is only ONE sign going that way that says 50mph. So. when he claimed I was going 64mph in a 50mph he was lying-- which is probably why he didn't ticket me for that. It was a 65mph zone. He wrote me a ticket for no seatbelt-- even though he acknowledged that I was wearing one-- saying it would be a lower fine. My guess is because that can't be proven as its his word against mine-- he did not have a bodycam. Not like I could contest the ticket anyway though. That town doesn't have a court and there is nowhere to contest it. The address they give for the court is the police station and the only option is to pay or have your license revoked. I wish we had cops like Havasu here instead of these lying jerks.

Z, I would recommend going into the PD, and ask to speak to the Chief. Tell him what you said to us. Force him to prove that his officers are on the up and up. Who knows. Maybe you can be the one citizen to make that department better.

Z, I would recommend going into the PD, and ask to speak to the Chief. Tell him what you said to us. Force him to prove that his officers are on the up and up. Who knows. Maybe you can be the one citizen to make that department better.
I've been to that PD. They won't let you speak to the chief. He's not even in the office most of the time. No one is even in there most of the time when they are supposed to be open. They don't answer their phones. The town is notorious for speed traps and bogus tickets. They are corrupt and will not budge. A big portion of the town's income is from tickets. Sadly, its less aggravation to just pay and be done with it. Bc if they get mad they will find other excuses to pull me over whenever I pass through. They like to retaliate there. One of the things Louisiana is known for is police corruption and speed traps. I've got too much else to do-- trying to get Mom's blood sugar to come back down and having trouble with her insulin pump. Don't know if her canula dislodged or not but put two in within hours of each other because one bent. I've replaced the cartridge, the tubing, and the canula in the past 24hrs. Her blood sugar is still showing as "high". She may have to manually inject some of the insulin if we can figure out how much she should take.

It rained a lot but the dripping from the attic is subsiding so I think its from the hvac system.

I went to fix the pipes and found that whoever pulled the fittings at HD screwed up and put an FIP union in the bag instead of SLIP. Easy mistake to make- especially since the bin in the store had the FIP ones mixed in with SLIP. I couldn't even find the bin for the FIP ones. I went back and explained the situation and that they had just misread the bag. They let me swap it out. I forgot to check the other fittings I got and then remembered when I got home-- found one other that was wrong-- also FIP instead of slip-- but that one is cheap and easy to replace locally. Cheaper than driving back up there.

Popped in to TSC to get sweet feed for the cows as they've been hollering at me lately. They were very happy. Went to put the fittings on and found that my friend forgot to screw the cap back on properly. It was at an angle and it was all dried up. So, another trip to TSC (hardware store was closed) and got a 4oz jar. Back home and put everything together. In a few minutes I can go turn the water back on (it had 2hr cure time). When the well service guys solvent welded, they didn't even give it 5min to cure. I don't want this to come apart.

I fed mom when I got home before I had to go back into town. I hope she's feeling ok. About to go check on her.

Edit: Turned the shutoff to let water flow to the pump but realized the cistern was low and the damned lever didn't trigger. The float and rod were down but the arm didn't budge. I had to pull on it to make the pump turn on. Ugh. I really hate that thing but I still haven't figured out what controller/contactor I need to make a float or other option work with the 230v 1hp pump. It's so aggravating.

On the upside, Mom's blood sugar finally went down. It's at 100 now.

Oh, and call me childish, but my impulse buy today:
1720302564060.png

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back