1 of my 3 old Kohler K-3397 Low Profile toilets is misbehaving & I really need help!

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's exactly the same as the old Koeler one. By wiggle it, I just mean that I push down on it with my fingers and thumb around the ½" tall 🔵 sticking up & sort of twist it back and forth a tiny bit.
Have you read this? I don't mean any wild wiggling. Just twisting it very slightly to help it seat. better. Would you look at a photo of both the Kohler and Korky packages if I get one? They're what I’ve found are the ones for these K-3397 toilets. Maybe you could verify if you saw the pics since you have better resources?

Last edited:
Some of the older toilets use an extra large, extra wide flapper for a solid fit. If you can wiggle it, I'm guessing it is not the needed extra large flapper.
Here's the KOHLER G83064 & Korky 2010BP flappers I've been using for 33 years in this house.
When I'd said I wiggle it a little to seat it to stop it from leaking, I'm just saying that I gently twisted that knob that sticks up ½.l on the top of it a couple times as I gently pushed down on it. It could be that just happened to give any residual water that had already passed it time to stop draining and that it was going to stop on its own.
I'd never thought of that until someone here mentioned that as being what's happening. Maybe that was you, I forget.
4E01E703-9E83-4F7F-8C44-ECC7723AA574.jpeg

Plumbing rule # 9,678,200

Never buy a toilet with a special flapper, flush tower, flush handle or ballcock.

No exceptions.

Thanks Tom. I'm not wanting to argue but the only water that is apparently coming from the tank is seeping down from under the rim of the toilet, not the chute that the flap is on. Are you aware of that? I've said it and I even added a photo of it in my last Reply of the blue lime streak buildup that the seeping

Last edited:
Throw those toilets in the dump and buy good toilets so that means not a kohler.
A slight tangent question: What make & models are 'good toilets'? How do you quantify 'good'? Flushing ability? repair-ability? etc.
Just curious as I have a few bath remodeling projects on the list.....
Thanks
J

A slight tangent question: What make & models are 'good toilets'? How do you quantify 'good'? Flushing ability? repair-ability? etc.
Thanks
J
Thanks for asking. I'd like to know the same thing just in case I choose to replace my 3 toilets.
I've noticed that the toilets everywhere these days seem to blast & scare me when I push the button, just like on a jet.
I can choose between a mini-blast for pee & a big blast for poop.

Thanks
J
Both, flushing ability and standard parts.

this is kohler rialto , i have worked on hundreds of the pieces of junk toilets that designer when crazy for in the 80' and 90' .
the toilets just would not flush right so this is what you had to do just to make them work
1) install a 1/2 speedway so that the water pressure would power assist the flush. you can see that there is a plastic tube from the ballcock to the top of the trap to give it a push where when the flush is half way .
2) you could never install one of the in the basment or in places with low water pressure .
3) the tanks had a habit of over flowing because the flapper valve were undersized and there were holes at the back of the tank I worked on many of these , i would throw it out and get a decent toilet that one buys due to very good working reputation
NEVER BUY A TOILET just because the designer likes the look .

this is kohler rialto , i have worked on hundreds of the pieces of junk toilets that designer when crazy for in the 80' and 90' .
the toilets just would not flush right so this is what you had to do just to make them work
1) install a 1/2 speedway so that the water pressure would power assist the flush. you can see that there is a plastic tube from the ballcock to the top of the trap to give it a push where when the flush is half way .
2) you could never install one of the in the basment or in places with low water pressure .
3) the tanks had a habit of over flowing because the flapper valve were undersized and there were yeaholes at the back of the tank I worked on many of these , i would throw it out and get a decent toilet that one buys due to very good working reputation
NEVER BUY A TOILET just because the designer likes the look .
Yes, never let an 'ar-TISTS' into the design lab.......

Latest posts

Back