Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Milespaco

Reaction score
We have a 325 ft well near an ocean marsh. Well pump is at 300 ft. Pump company says we have water 60 ft down so seems like plenty of water. However, because the well is so deep we get brackish water and our well TDS is 7k with mostly sodium and chloride. The well serves a whole home RO system due to the well water condition. The RO system requires 30 psi to operate. We faced pressure issues so the RO system won’t work. Well company says the reason for the pressure drop is due to a faulty pump. So we paid $5k for new pump. Same pressure problem. Now they say the line to house is clogged with sediment. They say we need to replace the line. The line in the well was all gunked up with iron sediment restricting flow. We replaced that line in the well and noticed better pressure in house but still diminished. They say the line to the house is also clogged. Before we dig up the yard and replace the line, I’m wondering if we need a new well altogether if there’s that much sediment building up. I’ve read when wells go bad it could be due to sediment build up over years. Well is about 20 years old. I’d hate to replace line to house and then in a year it’s all clogged again and they say the reason is due to general well condition causing lots of sediment.

We have been very stressed. multiple well and plumber visits!

Decision to make:
1) dig up yard and replace line to house
2) new well
3) keep as is (since line in well was replaced we have better pressure but still restricted).
4) other??

All thoughts welcome - THANKS

I wish. The town stopped the pipes several houses down and won’t pipe further. Too much rock
Missed it by that much ! 🤣. I hate that for you, maybe one day you’ll get it.

Good luck with solving your problems.

Sorry for your problem A good clean well is a blessing. But many wells require some filtering. City water usually comes from the same sources, they just have money and experts to do the filtering. Iron is a tough one to clean as it can clog things up from top to bottom. I recommend talking to someone who knows how to oxidize the iron in the well. That way it doesn't clog the well, pump, pipe, or anything before it gets to the house. The way I understand iron is all you have to do is aerate. You would need a return water line to the well which might not be easy in the northern states. But you can search for the Sulfur Eliminator and talk to the guy who makes them as iron is prominent in his area and he knows how to deal with it.

Sorry for your problem A good clean well is a blessing. But many wells require some filtering. City water usually comes from the same sources, they just have money and experts to do the filtering. Iron is a tough one to clean as it can clog things up from top to bottom. I recommend talking to someone who knows how to oxidize the iron in the well. That way it doesn't clog the well, pump, pipe, or anything before it gets to the house. The way I understand iron is all you have to do is aerate. You would need a return water line to the well which might not be easy in the northern states. But you can search for the Sulfur Eliminator and talk to the guy who makes them as iron is prominent in his area and he knows how to deal with it.
We oxidize it in a filter after it comes out of the well. The issue is the iron in the well. Seems like it’s already oxidized in the well and line so it’s building up in the line

Latest posts

Back