Very slow draining of brand new POP-UP DRAIN

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foreverDIYgirl

Reaction score
Just installed a brand new bathroom vanity with sink (overflow at front edge), faucet and metal pop-up drain (upgraded from the plastic pop-up that came with faucet due to 2 lousy gaskets) which is otherwise very similar to the factory pop-up. The metal pop-up has 5 good gaskets so no leaks after teflon taping the drain threads (yay!). Faucet water drains well except for when you run it on high and engage the pop-up so that water fills the sink 1/3 or more of the way up. I cannot figure out why the pop-up drain drains so slowly for larger sinkfulls of water ... and if that can be rectified. Not a huge deal for me but if I get a boyfriend, he may want to shave in that sink.

I read that surface tension builds up in these pop-drains because of the smaller grids under the pop-up where the water flows through. Fyi, pop-up is aligned perfectly with overflow cutouts at 12 o'clock & 6 o'clock. Definitely no clogs in the line through to the waste line. Any ideas on how to get pop-up to drain at normal rate even after puposefully filling the sink? Thank you in advance for your expertise.

Back