Vent help for under sink ProFlo Pump

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kimrodgers

Reaction score
We recently bought an older condo that has an under kitchen sink pump. We’ve figured out that whoever renovated the condo years ago didn’t tie into the condo main stack and they just put a sink in the middle of the room. So in order for it to drain, they added a pump which pumps the water up and ties into one of our bathrooms. Anyway, we recently had to have the pump replaced and they installed an AAV. We’ve noticed a super strong odor since the new system was installed. In our extensive research, it seems like this type of pump should not have an AAV but needs just a regular vent. Seeing as we aren’t tied into the main stack and have no way to vent to the outside, what would be the best recommendation here? Also, do you think the smell is coming from the pump itself or is it possible that we are somehow having sewer gas come through. The smell is only at the kitchen sink area.

Attachments

• c9e9449a-1d2c-4328-aa5a-4852d8ce009f.jpeg
    c9e9449a-1d2c-4328-aa5a-4852d8ce009f.jpeg
    330.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 6b90000e-4272-47b5-a08f-288b0e104157.jpeg
    6b90000e-4272-47b5-a08f-288b0e104157.jpeg
    314 KB · Views: 0
AAV can NOT be used with a pump system like that. Period. Those pumps MUST have a vent, of course.
The vent must go to atmosphere (exterior of building)
Sorry.

AAV can NOT be used with a pump system like that. Period. Those pumps MUST have a vent, of course.
The vent must go to atmosphere (exterior of building)
Sorry.
Thank you. So no option for us in this situation? We can’t tie into the building vent unless we move the sink, which would involve an entire kitchen renovation.

I assume your sink is in an island?

So, how was the old pump vented?

Where into the sewer of the bathroom does the pump discharge?

You don't need to tie into the main stack for a vent, but it does need to be vented to the outside.

I assume your sink is in an island?

So, how was the old pump vented?

Where into the sewer of the bathroom does the pump discharge?

You don't need to tie into the main stack for a vent, but it does need to be vented to the outside.
We don’t recall how the old pump was vented. Unfortunately it was replaced when we weren’t there and we never took photos of the old setup. I have a few calls into the plumber who did the new one but they have gone MIA.

I believe it goes to the sink in the hall bath. The only reason I think that is because we can hear a “burp” at the bathroom sink after the pump runs.

It’s not technically in an island, but it’s in an interior side of the kitchen where I don’t see any possible way to vent it to the outside. Since we are in a condo building and have several floors above and below us, plus it’s quite far from any exterior wall. Seems impossible to vent to the outside.

We don’t recall how the old pump was vented. Unfortunately it was replaced when we weren’t there and we never took photos of the old setup. I have a few calls into the plumber who did the new one but they have gone MIA.

I believe it goes to the sink in the hall bath. The only reason I think that is because we can hear a “burp” at the bathroom sink after the pump runs.

It’s not technically in an island, but it’s in an interior side of the kitchen where I don’t see any possible way to vent it to the outside. Since we are in a condo building and have several floors above and below us, plus it’s quite far from any exterior wall. Seems impossible to vent to the outside.
Yep, you have a problem. Like breplum said, an AAV cannot be used for that. But every plumbing fixture has a vent. You may be able to snake a vent line next to the pump discharge line and tie it into the bathroom sink vent, assuming it is a dry vent.

https://ipsplumbingproducts.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/Studor-Sump-Pump_071420.pdf

Twowax - that is an interesting app note. It would save a lot of people who retrofitted basement drains the headache of making nasty mods to vent to the roof. Most vented basement pumps I've seen say no AAVs but that's probably because the positive pressure that this note addresses. Am I interpreting this correctly and, if so, do you think this setup would meet IPC regs and/or be questioned by inspectors?

Twowax - that is an interesting app note. It would save a lot of people who retrofitted basement drains the headache of making nasty mods to vent to the roof. Most vented basement pumps I've seen say no AAVs but that's probably because the positive pressure that this note addresses. Am I interpreting this correctly and, if so, do you think this setup would meet IPC regs and/or be questioned by inspectors?
IPC 918.8 - .....Air admittance valves shall not be used to vent sumps or tanks except where the vent system for the sump or tank has been designed by an engineer.....

Also, we all know the AHJ inspectors can disallow items based on local ordinances and their own interpretation of the code.

Get an engineers approval or request a variance by the chief plumbing inspector. Provide an isometric drawing of the existing and proposed piping.

If you’re not getting inspections or no adhering to local codes and are willing to take responsibility of any problems that could occur then you can do whatever you’d like.

Back