tub removal and installation of shower pan question

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fenachrone

Reaction score
Getting some estimates for this job now, and the measurement of the tub space (the length from one end of the tile enclosure to the other) is 57 inches. Figuring this was a typical 60-inch typical space for a tub, three inches must be taken up by the backer board and tile: The assumption being it's framed to a 60-inch length, but can't be certain. (This house was built in 1950.)

In view of this, one contractor mentioned that a 30x60 shower pan would create some installation problems, and mentioned simply going with a tile base, using a substrate that could be cut to fit the space and new fill-in tile would line up with the existing tile.

Finding someone to do tile is hard in my area, and I really don't have to go the tile route. It's also probably going to be a lot more money. My question is what happens when a 30x60 fiberglass or acrylic base is put in, if it fits, after the tub is removed. It will obviously protrude under the existing tile/backer board. Can one just come in a bit on the shower pan to install the fill-in backer board and tile; do shower bases have this installation allowance?

Back