Adding a temporary hydronic baseboard to existing zone.

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnDS

Reaction score
Hey guys. For the sake of argument and simplicity, let's just assume the boiler can handle what I plan to do.

I have a single story 3 bed ranch with a new room added in the basement. So 4 beds total. Currently I have an 80kbtu Alpine/Burnham NG condensate boiler That I installed in 2015. I just need to get this basement bedroom tied into the existing first floor zone temporarily for the winter until I figure out and have the time to do a permanent alternative. Luckily I have an exposed basement ceiling where the first floor loop runs.

1) Assuming the boiler can handle the extra radiator and already understanding that by including this new radiator this way, it will be on with the upstairs thermostat, I was looking to tie in with a couple of bypass valves in the photo below. I was thinking while the upstairs is calling for heat, I can open the valves and warm up the room periodically. Will this work for now?

2) When I change to a permanent setup, eventually this basement bedroom will be on its own separate zone and thermostat along with a couple of other radiators to heat the rest of the basement. The issue is that this boiler only has factory electrical terminals for 1 heating zone and 1 domestic HW zone. What would be the best way to create a 2nd heating zone for the basement? Should I add a zone valve to the boiler and use the same circulator pump that circulates the existing heating zone, or should I add an electric Taco unit that has space for another heating zone and have separate circulator pumps? Can you please tell me exactly what items to buy. Thank you.

Attachments

• 20241027_101719.jpg
    20241027_101719.jpg
    3.8 MB
Last edited:
I added some base board for a basement bedroom, all I did was make it part of the return of the 1st fl I piped it so I could bypass the bedroom when not in use and
You could throttle the valves so you still got flow going back to the boiler at the same time,

Back