Twisted Outdoor Faucet Pipe – What Repair Options Might My Plumber Suggest?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doit

Reaction score
I attempted to remove the outside faucet, but while twisting it from the outside, I realized the pipe itself had started to turn rather than the faucet. When I turned the water back on, I noticed a leak coming through the slab. I’ve already scheduled a plumber to come out next week, but since no one is living there right now, I’m trying to understand what my options might be.

I know it’s impossible to say for sure where the leak is located or the exact layout of the pipes, but I’d appreciate any insights or a "best guess" based on typical setups. I’ve included some photos and additional context: the water meter is located near the road, directly in front of the outdoor faucet. All other water-using fixtures — the washing machine, water heater, kitchen sink, and two bathrooms — are along the back wall of the house. The house was built in the early 1970s.

Here are some questions I have:

1. Is there a "typical" layout for water pipes in a house like this, especially if the only water user on one side is an outdoor faucet?
  2. How far back into the house might the connection for this faucet typically be?
  3. Does it appear from the picture that the water line is running under or through the slab?
  4. What methods could a plumber use to identify the exact location of the leak?
  5. What are the potential options for repairing the leak in the pipe?
  6. Is it possible to cap or plug the leaking section of pipe to eliminate the outdoor faucet without affecting water flow to the rest of the house?
  7. Could inserting a camera into the pipe help determine the leak's location and the distance back to where it connects to the main line?
  8. Would the pipe likely follow a direct line between the faucet and the main water line, or is it common for these lines to take unexpected routes through the slab?
Thank you for any guidance you can provide.faucet_line_leak (2).jpgView attachment faucet_line_leak (4).jpg

Back