Too much water pressure upstairs

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tgoodgame

Reaction score
I need to find out how to adjust the water pressure in my upstairs bathroom. There is way too much water pressure in the shower upstairs, and not enough in the downstairs. If they're going at the same time the downstairs hot water is completely diminished as soon as the water is turned on upstairs. :confused:

Replacing the upstairs showerhead with one of the new low flow showerheads might be of some help. But I am thinking that the real problem might be with a restriction in the downstairs bath. Has this always been a problem, or is it a new issue?

Do you have suffiicient water pressure in the lower shower if the top shower is not running? If not, I would be checking for sediment downstairs, as Phishfood suggested.

This has been a problem since buying the house 3 yrs ago. The water pressure downstairs is normal, but if the upstairs shower is on the hot water downstairs just stops, but the pressure is still sufficient. The pressure is so strong upstairs that it creates a breeze that literally blows the curtain out of the shower! We were thinking about getting a low flow showerhead but was concerned that we might be masking the real problem. I read online that we may need to adjust the pressure reducing valve, does that sound fitting?

If the problem was an excess of pressure in the whole house, then adjusting the pressure reducing valve might be the fix.

How about the cold pressure downstairs when the upstairs shower is turned on to the cold side?

Back