pressurized sewer line

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Superchief

Superchief
Reaction score
Not sure if the general forum is the right place to post this, but...

Anyone with experience in pressurized sewer lines that can guide me?

I'm a GC and want to bring a directionally drilled line from the manhole at the bottom of our private road to serve the houses on the road. There is an existing right of way, the town supports the project, there is a manhole at the bottom of our road, and there is capacity at the pumping station.

Speaking to engineers they are telling me it is a $1,000,000 project for 15 houses which I am deeply skeptical of.

The first 700' is trench/gravity which I expect I can do for $25,000 if I do the excavation, as there isn't a lot of restoration, then it has to be drilled and pumped as it crests a hill as we cannot install a gravity line 50' below ground.

I know my drilling costs, worst case (rock, which is unlikely as the water company installed a line 2 years ago and hit no rock) I can bore 1500' for a budget of < $75,000 - $90,000 and more likely (dirt) $20-30,000. These numbers come from a directional drilling company who work in my area.

Engineering companies are quoting be $35k for design which seems ridiculous, but it isn't a deal breaker, divide by 15 houses and it is only $2,300 each.

Then they are saying I have to plan for E1 pumps at $30k/house which seems extreme - I realize these are not standard grinder pumps but I have a hard time in my head imagining how these pumps installed can cost anything like that number, I feel like there has to be a cheaper way or sewer lines would never get done but $30k * 15 = $450k.

The rest is for laterals and misc. which again seems a ridiculous number.

Being a GC I know that when numbers seem crazy they usually are but maybe this is the exception to the rule - I appreciate any advice from someone who has done this type of project.

Back