Toilet bowl filling after bowl is full and tank is still filling

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Doyle

Reaction score
Toilet bowl filling after bowl is full and tank is still filling

I replaced the entire assembly for my toilet with "Korky - QuietFILL Platinum Complete Universal Toilet Repair Kit" (https://www.homedepot.com/p/Korky-Q...-Universal-Toilet-Repair-Kit-4010MC/301449137)

When I flush the toilet, the tank and bowl start to fill up, but water keeps going into the bowl until the tank is full - isn't this wasting water down the drain? Shouldn't the toilet bowl stop filling since the flapper is closed and only the tank on the back fills with water?

Is my water pressure too high? 2 toilets in the house do this with the Korky assemblies - but i have a new toilet with a "Canister Flush Valve Kit" that doesn't do this - is this a better choice for the other 2 toilets? a canister type? (https://www.amazon.com/KOHLER-GENUINE-1188999-Toilet-Canister/dp/B00CXS27BC)

The black "tube" that goes from the fill valve over to the overflow tube looks to have a regulator on the fill valve. Have you adjusted the flow down at all ?

Look at Step 8 in the video and adjust the valve feeding the black hose at the top of the fill valve.

The flow from the black hose is there to assure the level in the bowl is where it should be. That bowl level should be close to the weir level of the bowl. Without that flow of water into the bowl, the siphoning action of the toilet will suck most of the water out of the bowl after the flapper closes possibly leaving minimal water in the bowl. A little evaporation and you will have sewer gases coming out of the toilet as the water seal will be gone.

The black "tube" that goes from the fill valve over to the overflow tube looks to have a regulator on the fill valve. Have you adjusted the flow down at all ?
Yes, that’s a valve to control the flow volume into the bowl.

It should be turned down until the bowl is full and the tank is full at approximately the same time, as close as you can get.

This stops wasting water by overfilling the bowl and having it run down the drain.

Last edited:
Back