Shower valve

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DYI guy

Reaction score
Hi, i have recently purchased a home and noticing an issue with the shower valve that was not caught during inspection. Valve is kohler k-11748-ks-na with builtin diverter. When the water is on the faucet i would press the diverter then i get a back to back water hammers before it switches over to the shower. I see that the installer did not really secure this valve in the wall looks very messy. But when the water is off, should i be getting a metal to metal sound when i press the diverter. Water hammer noise seems to be coming from the same area and its just louder and 3-4 times back to back. I should note i already contacted kohler they sent me new diverter and new stem valve but the problem is still the same. Any next step suggestions is appreciated.

So i removed the shower head and 3 hammers went down to 1.

Attachments

• IMG_6519.mov
    18 MB
Last edited:
press slower. hydraulic water hammer is an expected fact of nature. secure piping and for extra caution, add water hammer arrestors...but even with arrestors, we get water hammer often with quick-closing and good water pressure.

I don’t see or hear any water running, just someone abusing the diverter……

Updated the video, is this hammer noise considered normal when the diverter is pressed? Replacing the shower head has helped reduce the water hammer but this still remains.

Back