New P-Trap Leaking

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newhomeDIYer

Reaction score
Hi all - P-Trap for my vanity was stinking and had a small leak. So I've just replaced my P-Trap with the exact brand from before. This piece here is leaking so bad and I just don't know what I can do. The product is by Mueller and it did not come with a washer. I've tried with and without plumbers tape on the threads but it doesn't help. I'm scared if I keep tightening, it may overtighten and crack.

Are there any suggestions from the pros on what I can do? Thanks in advance!

20240908_123310.jpg

Those two pieces join at an internal conical sealing surface molded into the two mating pieces. Tape on those threads will not seal that union. With both ends of the trap glued in place, and such a short trap arm, you may have glued them slightly crooked, not allowing the sealing surfaces to mate. You can try to tighten the nut, and if that doesn't work or it breaks, you will probably have to redo the P-trap. Remove any and all tape from the joint first.

Good luck.

Probably needs tightened more, make sure the mating surfaces are seated together and not out of alignment.

I've found I always wrench those nuts too tight with my hands. Now, I slightly snug them. Mc and GR are probably correct, and the surfaces are just a tad bit out of alignment.

Latest posts

Back