Same problem

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

techiegirl

Reaction score
My toilet would periodically drain and fill...so I replaced with the Fluidmaster 555C Flush Valve repair kit with 502 Performax High performance flapper and drain seat. I still have to keep turning off the water every time I use the toilet. I don't know where it's draining from. It also seems at time to drain from the toilet a little, but not really..I turned off the water and just checked and it down but not completely..Any help?

Last edited:
Refill tube is outside that overflow tube attached with zip tie over flap (that makes sure the flap gets shut in the past ... Just checked water turned off and the water level is ok in the toilet. Just don't know what it just does this thing. That is why I replaced everything. Also pictures won't show anything other than than the normal way it is set up.

I've done it both ways with the same results.... yes set up is exactly the same as the picture. 1) with reful tube outside 2) with inside, same result.. with it outside it fills the tank but the water is going somewhere and 1) is in the refill tube, it does down the tube nothing seems to change the constant filling.

Refill tube water should be directed into the overflow and the outlet of the refill tube where the water exits should be above the water line in the tank when it finishes filling.

I know all this yet the toilet keeps periodically refills...despite new innards.

If the refill tube is above and directed into the overflow tube, and the water level is below the overflow tube by 1/2" or so, and the flapper and drain seat are new and properly installed, and the chain that lifts the flapper is not holding the flapper open, and there is no debris between the flapper and drain seat, the water in the tank should not be able to get into the bowl. Maybe put some food color into the water in the tank when everything is at rest and see if any colored water makes its way into the bowl. The overflow tube could have a crack in it below the water level.

I did that and that is how I knew the flapper was bad and went ahead and replaced everything. I don't have any food color and not driving 10 miles each way for food coloring LOL I'll try coffee. However, just looked at the toilet and tank (water shut off) and it hasn't leaked everything stable geeze ...twilight zone I guess. If it starts doing it again I'll try the coloring and see but I don't think it's the flapper as it is the repair with a good seal.

If the refill tube is above and directed into the overflow tube, and the water level is below the overflow tube by 1/2" or so, and the flapper and drain seat are new and properly installed, and the chain that lifts the flapper is not holding the flapper open, and there is no debris between the flapper and drain seat, the water in the tank should not be able to get into the bowl. Maybe put some food color into the water in the tank when everything is at rest and see if any colored water makes its way into the bowl. The overflow tube could have a crack in it below the water level.

It maybe the fill valve. It isn't a black and white answer that is why we asked for pics. Just because your bowl loses water doesn't cause the tank to fill, you need to flush the tank into the bowl. If the fill valve is bad it could be causing the water into the fill tube and down into the bowl which would cause that to drain

It maybe the fill valve. It isn't a black and white answer that is why we asked for pics. Just because your bowl loses water doesn't cause the tank to fill, you need to flush the tank into the bowl. If the fill valve is bad it could be causing the water into the fill tube and down into the bowl which would cause that to drain
I'm thinking so but can't return to amazon, too late :-( How do you check/test to see if it's the fill valve? It's brand new

Back